3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Seat Creaking

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 03:02 PM
James_thiessen83
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat Creaking

So I have a 2011 Dodge Dakota Crew cab. It only has 7200kms on it, and the last few days as I get in and out the seat makes a horrible creaking noise. It does not do it while I am driving, just as I enter and exit. It does it for everyone in my family, not just myself. I know I saw on the Ram forum that they had a crossbeam that had to be greased and wasnt from the factory. Just wondering if that is the case here too? Thanks for any help.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:16 PM
James_thiessen83

Also now if I manually push down on the left side of the lower part of the seat I hear a popping noise. Any help still greatly appreciated.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:29 PM
Deer Hunter
Veteran

If you have a power seat, raise it up and get in there with a flashlight and a mirror. That would be the best starting point. You might need another set of hands to push down on the seat while you are under there. The closer your eyes and ears are to the noise makes it easier to locate.

Last edited by Deer Hunter; 08-22-2013 at 07:33 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:09 PM
James_thiessen83

It's just a manual seat. Not power just was curious if anyone's had this before and what they did

Old 08-23-2013, 08:06 AM
northgator8
All Star
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

If it only has 7,200 kms on it, it has been sitting a lot. Something is rusted that shouldn't be (I know, nothing SHOULD be rusted). Some lube is in order, methinks.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:14 AM
James_thiessen83

Ya I had a chance to play with it and the release to move it back and forth was causing the creaking. I have yet to lube it, but at least I found that part out.

Old 08-25-2013, 01:27 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

The seat belt will also cause a "creaking" noise. I found in my 2010, the female end of the seat belt can be pushed up against the center console, causing a leather-on-leather creak-type noise.

I was off-and-on thinking how to solve it, when I rode in a sibling's newer Ford Taurus one day. I saw how Ford had put small pads on the tops of the seat belts' female ends, to prevent the exact problem I was having.

I had some furniture pads (the sticky type you put on the bottom of chairs/tables/furniture to stop them from scratching hardwood floors) left over, and they did the trick perfectly.

Just another thing to think about if that noise still exists or comes back later.

Quick Reply: Seat Creaking