3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Intermediate Steering Shaft Lube

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 04:54 PM
Alfons
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Intermediate Steering Shaft Lube

On Dakotas with a body lift, the intermediate steering shaft U-joint at the firewall ends up with an angle that it can just marginally handle. On some, mine included, that joint tends to bind a bit causing a cyclic stiffness in the steering (it stiffens and relaxes cyclically as you turn the wheel) - this is a result of that joint momentarily hitting its binding point due to that angle. I found that lubricating that U-joint fixes that problem, but since there's no grease nipple there, I was using spray-on lubricants & this needed to be repeated every time the lubricant dried up (every couple of months). Today, I was in the process of re-spraying that joint & decided on a different method - here's what I did:
  • I got an old bicycle tube and cut off a piece about 6" in length.
  • Pulled the joint off the steering column,
  • Slid the piece of tube over the joint,
  • Put the joint back on the steering column,
  • I put a hose clamp at one end and tightened it, then pumped a bunch of grease into the tube so that it felt full & then put a clamp on the other end and tightened it so that the whole thing sits there like a boot over the constant speed joints. You could probably get away with using zip ties, but I didn't want the grease to come out onto my new driveway, so I pulled it tight with hose clamps.
I now get no binding and don't expect to re lube this ever again unless the tube gets punctured.

I was going to post a picture in order to use fewer words, but they all turned out very dark so I was stuck with using words.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:36 PM
Deer Hunter
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your words were good. You put a condom on your shaft.

Old 08-23-2013, 05:56 AM
Alfons
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Deer Hunter
Your words were good. You put a condom on your shaft.
And now I'm safe for life

Old 08-23-2013, 08:15 AM
northgator8
All Star
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Sadly, this option is out for practicing Catholics - We Protestants can go down the road any time we want and walk into Harry's and hold our heads up high, and say in a loud steady voice: 'Harry I want you to sell me a condom. In fact, today I think I'll have a French Tickler, for I am a Protestant. . . . . (Those of you without a misguided youth watching late-night PBS might miss the reference)

Old 08-23-2013, 04:34 PM
Alfons
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by northgator8
Sadly, this option is out for practicing Catholics - We Protestants can go down the road any time we want and walk into Harry's and hold our heads up high, and say in a loud steady voice: 'Harry I want you to sell me a condom. In fact, today I think I'll have a French Tickler, for I am a Protestant. . . . . (Those of you without a misguided youth watching late-night PBS might miss the reference)
I sort of relate to my experiences in the all-ranks-club at CFB Greenwood, also known as the Hug & Slug. It took a mixture of all the "cultures" to come up with some of the scenarios presented there.

Quick Reply: Intermediate Steering Shaft Lube