3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

erase check engine light code

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 07:06 PM
baross1
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default erase check engine light code

My check engine light came on today. Truck seemed to be running fine,so I just stopped at the local Auto Zone and had them check the code. They said either I didn't have my gas cap tight or it needs replaced.
Being as nobody is open in this ghost town on the weekend, I would like to know if there is anyway to make the check engine light go off without going to the dealer.
Since it is a 2006 Dakota I was told you can't disconnect the battery to do it, so I am looking for suggestions.

Old 09-07-2013, 07:31 PM
BrianFryar
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

take off the ground wire on the battery then take off the hot wire it will clear it off

Old 09-08-2013, 11:13 AM
Alfons
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only issue with disconnecting the battery is that all the statistics are lost after that and the PCM needs to go through a period of time to "relearn" things, so you will probably have a slightly different feel to it after you reconnect. When you reconnect, if you haven't fixed the problem, you'll get the light back and will need to redo everything. I would just leave things alone until you get another gas cap - there must be a parts supplier open somewhere that can sell you something as generic as a gas cap.

I'd suggest getting a code reader that has the capability of clearing codes as well as reading them. The basic readers are fairly inexpensive, it's the various levels of diagnostic tools you can get that can get fairly pricey. With the reader, you can check & clear your own codes any time. With a tool, you can do the checking and clearing as well as real time monitoring and other special functions.

Old 09-08-2013, 01:26 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

You can get a code reader for next to nothing these days. Pays for itself first time you use it and check/erase a code yourself. It's probably the best tool you can equip yourself with. Here is just an example of how cheap you can equip yourself with one:

Amazon.com: Autel MaxiScan MS300 CAN Diagnostic Scan Tool for OBDII Vehicles: Automotive Amazon.com: Autel MaxiScan MS300 CAN Diagnostic Scan Tool for OBDII Vehicles: Automotive

BUT: If you have a 4.7, get yourself a superchips tuner. Then you can tune your truck AND read/reset trouble codes.

Last edited by jkeaton; 09-08-2013 at 02:07 PM.

Quick Reply: erase check engine light code