3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Lower radiator support tie bar replacement??

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 10:23 AM
Reject
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The support cost around $300 Canadian, I gave them my new factory one as a template. and told them what I wanted. Any machine shop could make one, as you can tell its a simple build, they would just want correct measurements for height and width and that.

Old 11-12-2015, 08:55 AM
Bakerboyz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

new support

i purchase an aftermarket lower radiator support from rockauto for about$35.

I cut the ends of the tube and slipped it over the bumper bar and re-bolted it in. a little ugly but quick and easy.

Last edited by Bakerboyz; 11-17-2015 at 08:27 AM.
Old 12-19-2015, 05:22 PM
joatmon

I just replaced this support with one I purchased for from Amazon. (The steel on this replacement is not as thick as the OEM original.)
I cut off the original one using a thin cutting wheel on my angle grinder to remove it. I started by cutting a section out approx 3 1/2 to 4 inches near the center of the support so each half can slide toward the center of the truck for removal.
***Make sure you cut off the curved bottom of the supports so they do not hit and damage the radiator when sliding/hammering off.***
I cut the seams on both ends on the top of the replacement support, using the same thin cutoff wheel, approx 3 3/4 inches long and bent the resulting "tabs" up. (one side approx 90 degrees and one side a little less as you can angle the support a little when installing)
The new support can now easily be installed from the bottom. Fasten the bolts on the bottom and then bend the tabs and fasten the bolts on top. The seams that were cut can now be welded if you feel the need. (Since I do not have a welder I skipped this step.) I sprayed everything with some rust preventative oil for good measure. Seems to be pretty solid as is and the rad is now supported.

I did not have to remove any other parts to complete this repair.

I would highly recommend everyone check this lower support on their truck. (the cross support was completely missing on mine and I didn't really think to look at it until reading this post)

Old 06-16-2024, 08:36 PM
DONHUDD

Good info but mine is bad and on one side what the support slides into is rust off and inside the old support. Any ideas what I can do?

Quick Reply: Lower radiator support tie bar replacement??