3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Rear break clonking noise after changing breaks

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 08:45 PM
James3
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear break clonking noise after changing breaks

Just did some rear break work on 2005 Dodge Dakota. Got the break drums spun, new shoes and the spring kit replaced.

Been driving it for a few months now after replacing it, after the first few weeks, the brakes started making a thunking noise. I was told from a friend that the spring kit needed to be adjusted and usually by backing up and stopping suddenly and applying the brakes firmly, it would adjust itself. So I did that and the thunking noise went away for about 2 months and now the thunking noise is back and I've tried doing the backing up trick and stopping suddenly. No luck and it's still thunking. This thunking noise happens when I apply the break.

Also, I get another thunking noise when going over a bump (when not even applying the brakes). I would think that this is a separate issue (shocks?), but thought I would mention that I get a thunking noise when going over a bump. Will have to go under the truck tomorrow and inspect the shocks.

Any suggestions?!

Thanks!

Old 01-18-2014, 09:37 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Take the drums off, have a look, report back.

Quick Reply: Rear break clonking noise after changing breaks