3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

!@#$% shock bolt!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 10:48 AM
kenttt
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your pic shows a metric bolt with a grade ID mark of 10.9, this is roughly equivalent to SAE grade 8. DON'T use a piece of regular all thread as that would be asking for trouble. Typical all thread is only about SAE grade 2, although you can get it in NF SAE grade 8, and that's what to use if you want to use all thread in this aplication.

Old 04-20-2014, 11:18 AM
barrysuperhawk
Professional
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kenttt
Your pic shows a metric bolt with a grade ID mark of 10.9, this is roughly equivalent to SAE grade 8. DON'T use a piece of regular all thread as that would be asking for trouble. Typical all thread is only about SAE grade 2, although you can get it in NF SAE grade 8, and that's what to use if you want to use all thread in this aplication.
Good point. I ended up raiding a mechanic buddy's extra bolt box to make it work, so I'm not sure where the bolt I used actually came from, other than it is a suspension bolt from a Chrysler product.

Old 04-25-2014, 12:09 PM
italiandominator
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a link to a video when I removed mine. Along with patience, one big thing that I think made the difference was using a breaker bar and once on the nut (with another wrench holding the other side in place) I used a floor jack to raise and hold torque on the breaker bar...then every hour or so I'd go back, add some penetrating oil, jack it up ever so slightly more, bang it a few times all around with a BFH, use my impact on the bolt a few times for a few seconds each...and eventually...WAH LA! I was luck enough for it to come off undamaged and could reuse it (with a ton of antiseize). Good Luck!

Quick Reply: !@#$% shock bolt!!