3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Backup Camera - Recommendations?

Old 04-18-2014, 06:13 PM
Mickinator
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backup Camera - Recommendations?

What are you guys using? I was hoping to get something that wasn't noticeable so that it wouldn't get stolen.

Old 04-25-2014, 11:54 AM
italiandominator
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I admit I didn't shop around too much for the camera itself. My aftermarket radio has an input for back camera that comes on automatic when in reverse. I just made sure that the camera I got had a a wide viewing angle (150-160 degrees I think), and that it was also good at night. I was kind of in a rush and just had it installed to the right of the license plate where the bumper angles in. It's not the best place really, but it gets the job done ok. Ideally, if I was to do it over (and I will to be honest)...I'm planning on purchasing a locking tailgate latch, pop out the lock and tumbler, then mount the camera in the key hole but with a slight downward angle...I think that'd work much better. Only other option, really, would be drilling a mounting hole in the tailgate itself somewhere between the tailgate latch and ram head logo emblem.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:18 PM
keithhud
Professional

I have the Plye License plate camera and it works pretty good. I did have another camera I mounted on the bottom of the bumper and it worked ok until the lenses broke.

Old 04-25-2014, 03:57 PM
djbucky3
Captain

i got an el cheapo one off of amazon.. make it waterproof and it works just fine for 12 bucks.. has the lines on it to help me know distance to stuff.. Love it (when i have the wiring right)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Backup Camera - Recommendations?