3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Bumper Question (or is God telling me to upgrade?)

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 09:59 AM
Nightstick
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bumper Question (or is God telling me to upgrade?)

Hey all, after a new motor was installed due to the wife turning the truckinto a submarine a few months back I was getting the upgrade bug. Was going to start with asmall lift or leveling kit, maybe some 32's, and a new off road style front bumper. So ofcourse yesterday whilst parked in the local parking lot some tard backed intothe front driver side of the truck and left. The front driver’s corner ispushed in where the bumper ALMOST touches the tire. Interior plastic rubssome. I'm guessing it was a low speed impact because there is no transfer of paint and the plastic of the bumper is not cracked or scratched at all. I can make the insurance claim but with a 500$ deductible I wasthinking of throwing a few more bucks at it (and saving my insurance going up)and just buying a nice aftermarket one. While looking into it I found adisturbing lack of options for the gen 3's. Lots of options for 2004 andunder. Will the gen 2 bumpers fit or can anyone recommend a good site to buyfrom. Any hints on taking off the old one would be greatly appreciated aswell. As always thanks for the great advice.

Old 08-15-2014, 10:50 AM
EVguy
Veteran
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Unfortunately as with most aftermarket parts for our trucks if you want it, you will have to build it.
There have been some really well done ones built by list members.
I also need a front bumper as mine was damaged when I bought the truck and is held together with zip ties. I had hoped to build one this summer but other projects got in the way.
We don't do much off-roading and don't need a heavy 5/16" thick steel monster so I was going to build a lighter 3/16" aluminum one and spray it with Raptor.
Even thought about building a new "off-road" looking fiberglass cover to replace the plastic one.
It will be a winter project now once I get my diesel Cherokee swap finished.

Old 08-15-2014, 12:16 PM
Nightstick
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found one sold by Tactical Armor Group for about six and a half. Not sure about the rules for posting links but it's easy enough to Google. Has anyone had any dealings with these folks?

Old 08-16-2014, 12:27 AM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Nightstick
I found one sold by Tactical Armor Group for about six and a half. Not sure about the rules for posting links but it's easy enough to Google. Has anyone had any dealings with these folks?
That TAG bumper is a piece of crap. Custom or stock is your only option.

Last edited by dakotaff; 08-19-2014 at 10:04 AM.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:28 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Best option (if you lack the talent or the equipment to build your own) is probably to find a decent fab shop and have them build you exactly what you want. At least you won't have to pay shipping that way (which can be pretty expensive on something as big and heavy as a bumper).

Old 08-18-2014, 10:58 AM
EVguy
Veteran
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom A
Best option (if you lack the talent or the equipment to build your own) is probably to find a decent fab shop and have them build you exactly what you want. At least you won't have to pay shipping that way (which can be pretty expensive on something as big and heavy as a bumper).
This is a good way to go but usually much more expensive.
A single piece item is much more expensive then if they were to build a dozen or even just have the patterns.

I'm looking at building an aluminum custom bumper for my Jeep project. Had my guy draw it up in Cad so the shop just had to water jet out the parts, bend them and weld it up.
They still figure the first one would be close to $1K.
I think I will have them cut and bend the parts in steel for the first one so I can weld them up and build a jig so later ones are much quicker to produce.

Quick Reply: Bumper Question (or is God telling me to upgrade?)