3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

turn signals both flash

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 01:02 AM
EVguy
Veteran
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default turn signals both flash

Yesterday I started to have strange turn signal issues.
Turn the signal lever for a left turn and the left indicator blinks for about 5 times and then the right starts as well.
Today it was intermittent, sometimes they both flash and sometimes no flashing at all.
You can hear the flasher unit when both are flashing and no flasher unit when the indicators are not blinking.
I have not even looked to see what these have for a flasher unit?
I suppose the lever signal goes to the FCM which then runs the flasher?

Old 11-26-2014, 07:06 AM
northgator8
All Star
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

You, sir, have a bad multi-function switch! Or at least that's what I would guess until someone proves me wrong!

As I understand it, there is no "flasher". The computer does the deed, and they include a noise-maker so we old guys think it is all just like the old days.

You will need to pay an exorbitant amount of money for a new one, pull the steering wheel and slide the new one on and plug it in. Don't wait too long (it will get better as the weather gets colder), because the problem with the switch will start to melt the connectors. Don't ask how I know . . . .

Cheers

Old 11-29-2014, 07:29 PM
ForkliftJeff
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup, it's the multi-function switch. Mine has been doing the same thing. Another thing that may be happening is the wipers working at one or two speeds slower. Last year my wiper speeds were acting up so I had the multi-function switch replaced. Fixed it... for a bit. Just over a year later the wiper problem is back. And I also noticed around last December that my turn signals were confused once in a while. Which happened a few times this year. A quick immediate fix for both problems is to smack down on the steer column just above the turn signal arm beside the hazard light switch. Maybe next year I will replace it, if it gets worse.

Old 09-10-2015, 09:16 AM
northgator8
All Star
Default An Update, and maybe a short-term solution

Mine is in the throws of failure as we speak. Right signal - nothing happens, Left signal - right blinks, 4-way flashers - left blinks. So I knew that things were going south.

I had a replacement at home that I had pulled off of a 2nd gen Dakota, but didn't want to pull the steering wheel to replace it. Searched Yous Toobs and found a solution that allowed changing it without removing the steering wheel.

While viewing it, I thought that the plug-in was different from the switch I had on hand, so before I did anything, I pulled the cowling and checked it out. I discovered that the part on hand would not work, so found two '06 Durangos at the U-pull yard, and harvested both switches for $14!

The temporary fix I found was basically a "reset". I pulled the connector, left it off for several seconds while I checked some other things, and then re-connected. Lights all flashed and turned off, now everything works.

So, if you are having this problem, pull the cowls, disconnect the switch, and re-connect. It might help, it might not, but it will save some coin if it works.

The replacement shown in the video will work with our trucks, the cowl screws and the steering column adjuster removal is a little different, but you can figure that out.

Old 10-06-2015, 08:34 PM
ForkliftJeff
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very handy video. I've read how to do it but it's nice to see it in a video. I still need to replace mine but I'm waiting for it to get worse before I change it.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:16 AM
EVguy
Veteran

Mine was fine all summer but just this week has started to act up again.
Damp weather maybe?
I'll have to deal with it soon.

Old 10-08-2015, 07:39 AM
northgator8
All Star

Originally Posted by EVguy
Mine was fine all summer but just this week has started to act up again.
Damp weather maybe?
I'll have to deal with it soon.
Try the un-plug/re-plug trick first! Mine hasn't behaved poorly since! (about 6 or 8 weeks now!)

Old 10-21-2015, 12:49 AM
EVguy
Veteran

Tried the unplug today and so far so good.
It will be interesting to see how long this lasts.
I left the column cover off so I can easily do it again.
Has anyone taken the switch apart to see what could be the root of the problem?
Hard to understand mechanically how just unplugging the connector fixes the problem unless its actually a problem in the connector. Maybe the contacts get a bit of oxidation on them and loose conductivity.

Old 10-21-2015, 08:01 AM
northgator8
All Star

Originally Posted by EVguy
Maybe the contacts get a bit of oxidation on them and loose conductivity.

That's my thinking too, or maybe just enough movement to make a poor connection.

Quick Reply: turn signals both flash