3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

seized engine HELP

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 04:42 PM
jimbones
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry seized engine HELP

2007 Dakota 3.7 - 95K miles - mature driver - oil changes every 3K miles- only top qual oil used- engine never needed oil added between changes- Heres my story- Driving 60mph on highway,engine started losing power, felt a small bucking,engine light comes on,TPS(lightningbolt)light comes on - pulled over immed- called for tow- mech calls me to say engine seized , cant rotate even with sparkplugs removed- now what in the heck can I do ??? any sugestions guys and girls? Im beating my head on the walls , just CANNOT believe this happened

Old 01-17-2015, 05:23 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 337 Likes on 301 Posts

If it's seized, it's seized. I'd definitely get a second opinion or go see yourself before just taking this "mech" at his word. Show me. Get the code from the check engine light. Might be something simple and someone is ready to rip you off.

Old 01-18-2015, 11:09 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

normally when the lightning bolt comes up, there is an electronic fuel issues which will detonate your motor if kept driving, many of the charger guys have had this issue.

Old 01-18-2015, 12:38 PM
jimbones

denonate the motor?? I pulled off highway at 60mph within a half mile- please explain "detonate" - exactly what you suppose occurred cause after it got towed , I expected mech to call tellin me TPS sensor crapped itself , and $200 later I would be back in business- please explain , does that change timing ect or what ?? to seize my engine?? so far mech pulled all spark plugs to free up compression and try spinning crank - no joy - locked - I saw with my own eyes its locked up seized

Old 01-19-2015, 10:37 AM
Alfons
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the engine is truly seized and you're unable to change it yourself, I would first look for 2 things - a used engine and a trustworthy mechanic (or garage). I would initially check with local auto salvage yards to see what they had and what they wanted - including delivery to a garage of your choice, then find the garage/mechanic and work out a "not to exceed" cost of swapping engines and giving you a running truck. If you choose to take a similar route, make sure you cover off all the bases and have EVERYTHING in writing, including the final not-to-exceed price and all warranties (don't forget the used engine warranty).

The reason for the engine seizure can be any number of things, but often the reason falls into a lack of oil. If the oil level was/is at the full mark, things like a failed oil pump or bad/clogged filter can also give you the same result.

Old 01-19-2015, 09:48 PM
jimbones

so far all things pointing to a failed oil pump - engine is seized - but yeah will for sure get communication as to engine swap "in writing" - mech gonna search for couple engines and discuss options -

Old 02-23-2015, 12:01 PM
sdsdsd
Captain

These engines are piles of junk! Mine a 4.7L Magnum in a 2005 Dakota block cracked @ 80 K no apparent reason.

Old 02-23-2015, 12:34 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 337 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by sdsdsd
These engines are piles of junk! Mine a 4.7L Magnum in a 2005 Dakota block cracked @ 80 K no apparent reason.
Bzzzz....wrong...do not pass Go, do not collect $200. These engines are very stout IF properly maintained. Failures occur becuse people don't take care of them as they should, then complain when they blow up. Cracked block for no apparent reason. Really? Yep, they just crack willynilly on their own all the time.

Old 02-25-2015, 11:16 AM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sdsdsd
Cracks don't happen for no apparent reason. Causation is topic you should study...action/reaction. I bought my Dak brand new, with 38 test miles on it. I'm over 175K...no cracked block. No engine, transmission failures of any kind at any point.

Quick Reply: seized engine HELP