3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Cylinder 1 Misfire touble code p0301

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 10:57 AM
jcjordan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cylinder 1 Misfire touble code p0301

The problems im having are unique and i need help figuring out a couple options to try.

MY problems are the Engine light goes on and off, my truck every once and a while sputters around 2-3rd gear on acceleration, it idles very well and clean and seems like the air coming through my custom exhaust flows rough upon acceleration.

I have already replace the spark plugs and done a fuel cleaner and the "spark-pack" that ignites the plugs.

What are my next steps in trying to fix this? i feel that i really do have a major misfire in cylinder 1 and not just cosmetic stuff.

Old 02-06-2015, 12:52 PM
pierrejoly
Veteran
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

i was getting issues with cyl 5 in mine, which i'm sure came back to the plugs that i was running (E3 diamond fire) and and dirty air intake. I'm not talking about filter, i'm talking about the throttle body, intake manifold and cylinder heads. I got it a second time, but that one was my fault by putting in some really bad gas.

Since you already looked at thee coil and plug. Use half a can of seafoam and see if it helps it. I prefer to use the spray can because it sprays right into the throttle body vs the bottle which you have to get sucked through a vacuum hose. When you do it, it's a two person job, one on the throttle keeping it at around 2000 RPM, the other holding the can and spraying it in there. Once the can is about halfway done, stop spraying and turn off the engine. Let it sit for 5 minutes and start it up again, let it idle until the exhaust is back to normal, it will be dark grey or blue for a bit, then go for a vigorous drive.

Past this, we would need to know some more info. What is the year of your truck, what engine, and what modifications have you done to it. You already mentioned the exhaust, but did you put different plugs, what about air intake, etc..

Old 02-06-2015, 04:06 PM
erau
Veteran
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Move the coil pack from the bad cylinder to a different cylinder, clear out the ECU codes, start the engine, and see if the code follows to the new cylinder. If yes, replace the bad coil pack.

If not, move the spark plug from the bad cylinder to a different cylinder (after the engine cools down), clear out the ECU codes, start the engine, and see if the code follows to the new cylinder. If yes, replace the bad spark plug.

If not, it could be a dirty fuel injector or a carboned up valve/seat preventing a good seal.

Quick Reply: Cylinder 1 Misfire touble code p0301