3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

2005 Dakota, 4 Wheel Drive Fuse?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2020, 07:19 PM
Jennifer A. Jisko
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=2005_Dodge_Dakota;3492543]Yes, hi Jennifer Having read that you had the part replaced already at some cost at the dealership was the reason I asked if you received the old part as an indicator that a new one was put in? I'm not saying they did not replace that part but I always like to be sure, as I've run into unscrupulous service centers before. I could not see having to go through your transmission for any reason since it was working fine for you other than the issues you described. I am not surprised the rebuilder contacted you to ask "What am I supposed to be fixing."[

I should have asked for the part because when a friend of mine was fixing the exhaust right after I bought the truck he made a comment about that part was just changed and still had the sticker on it. We think they got rid of the truck because they couldn't figure it out. It cost $300 at the transmission shop for him to ask what he was fixing. I took the bill to the dealership and they wouldn't cover it because it's not what they wanted me to do or where they wanted me to go.

Old 09-10-2020, 09:26 PM
2005_Dodge_Dakota
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Jennifer A. Jisko;3492557]
Originally Posted by 2005_Dodge_Dakota
Yes, hi Jennifer Having read that you had the part replaced already at some cost at the dealership was the reason I asked if you received the old part as an indicator that a new one was put in? I'm not saying they did not replace that part but I always like to be sure, as I've run into unscrupulous service centers before. I could not see having to go through your transmission for any reason since it was working fine for you other than the issues you described. I am not surprised the rebuilder contacted you to ask "What am I supposed to be fixing."[

I should have asked for the part because when a friend of mine was fixing the exhaust right after I bought the truck he made a comment about that part was just changed and still had the sticker on it. We think they got rid of the truck because they couldn't figure it out. It cost $300 at the transmission shop for him to ask what he was fixing. I took the bill to the dealership and they wouldn't cover it because it's not what they wanted me to do or where they wanted me to go.[indent=40px]
Ugggh! That breaks my heart a little bit. I've always done my own automotive work since I was about 14 and I love working on cars so I have a little bit of an advantage but I wind up doing so much work for friends and family for free it takes a lot of my time sometimes but it's worth it. I like the truck and I like the way it looks even though the gas mileage isn't that great but I don't drive it that often. It's 15 years old and only has 94,000 mi on it. I am glad finally to have corrected that silly issue with the transfer case. Sometimes I would just be walking by the truck and I could hear it engaging back and forth without any key in it and I thought maybe it was possessed! Today I actually took the old actuator motor completely apart just to see if I could see anything shorted inside electrically or if something was broken but nothing was evident once I had it apart. It was unfortunate that Dodge never issued a recall for this serious topic as switching into low four-wheel drive while driving at highway speeds but undoubtedly be catastrophic. I read a few posts from people where they lost their transmissions after something similar occurred seemingly due to this issue. Russell

Quick Reply: 2005 Dakota, 4 Wheel Drive Fuse?