3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

2007 3.7L Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 07:43 PM
PickerBenny
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2007 3.7L Issues

Hello all, first of all Im new here and spent several hours reading up on my truck (2007 Dak 4x4 6 speed manual 3.7L) with issues and diagnosis. So far the truck has been good to me and now i want to take care of it. 77,xxx miles currently

In march sometime the truck is getting all dents, rust, and scratches taken care of at a reliable body shop.

Now im concerned about the mechanical aspects of my truck. The engine is great but makes a mild knocking like noise then it disappears after the truck warms up. Im sure its a pulley of somekind. Ill upload a video soon. Now the transmission I feel is wearing down. All gears shift great and engage, but 3rd gear makes a low rumble noise (again ill upload a video soon). But it engages fine its just when it is engaged, the noise starts. Reverse does a similar thing. (btw this noise only happens 2wd not 4wd.) EDIT: my clutch has barely anything left. can go out of gear without gasing it however cant switch between gears without it, no slippage yet

any help appreciated. just want my dak running without problems so i can customize it rather than fixing it!

Old 02-23-2015, 07:59 PM
bohnjerry
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gassing it? you mean you need to match RPMs with speed to get it in gear?
I wouldn't say your clutch is gone.. Perhaps your slave cylinder isn't disengaging your clutch and your really "hotshifting" it. Either that, or are your syncros gone or the throwout bearing destroyed? It doesn't sound like a worn clutch to me.
Try pumping your clutch pedal like you had leaky brakes, and see if that helps you get into the next gear without "gassing" it? That at least points to the slave cylinder as a culprit.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: 2007 3.7L Issues