3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

2007 Dakota power for rear defroster

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 02:29 AM
bblaisde
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Dakota power for rear defroster

I installed an aftermarket rear window grid defroster in my 2007 Dakota and am trying to find the best option to hook up power. I am temporarily using the power outlet (cig lighter) but it keeps blowing the 20 amp fuse. I see there is a 40 amp fuse in the fuse box designated for rear defrost, but I don't know where/if there is a wire in the cab I can attach to. Any info? I assume I should not just put a bigger fuse in for the power outlet.

Old 03-14-2015, 09:14 AM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Do not put a bigger fuse in, unless you want to toast some marshmallows while waiting for the Fire Department to arrive. Why don't you run a wire straight to the 40 amp designated rear defroster fuse in the fuse box? I'm not sure if there is already a wire installed in your truck for the rear defroster.

Old 03-14-2015, 02:15 PM
archemedes74
Veteran

what do the instructions for the defroster say (being aftermarket it should have those)

Old 03-14-2015, 06:05 PM
bblaisde

It just says to attach to fuse panel. I was hoping there would already be a wire from that 40 amp fuse in the dash somewhere. I don't know how difficult it is to run a wire through the firewall and attach in the fuse panel. I'm trying to find a wiring diagram, but I assume that the 40 amp fuse is connected to the spot where the defroster relay would be in the fuse panel, then there would be a wire going back near the rear window.

Old 03-15-2015, 02:50 AM
archemedes74
Veteran

running the wire shouldn't be bad, I have a grommet under the brake booster I ran my oil pressure lines through and it only took a few seconds (granted my inner fender was out at the time making access a ton easier, but from underneath shouldn't be bad)

Quick Reply: 2007 Dakota power for rear defroster