3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Brake controller question

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 09:04 PM
ForkliftJeff
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake controller question

Just to start off, I have a 2008 Dakota Quad Cab 4.7L 4x4 Auto trans with the factory tow package.

So I'm selling my 18' Bayliner and going to get a travel trailer around the 16'-18' range. My boat trailer uses the 4 pin trailer plug and has hydraulic actuated brakes. All the trailers I'm looking at will have a single torsion axle with electric brakes and will use the factory 7 pin plug. I don't have a brake controller in the cab so which one do I go with? I've started reading about them but there are lots of different ones and lots of information so i thought I'd post here to try and get a quick and easy answer from someone who is pulling a similar size trailer and using a brake controller. Also if you've got a quick rundown on the installation and perhaps a pic of where you installed in your truck that would be great.

Old 06-01-2016, 12:43 AM
ForkliftJeff
Rookie

After reading a bit more I am thinking the Tekonsha Primus IQ proportional controller might be the way to go. Can also get the 3020-P wire harness for it to plug right into factory wiring.

Old 06-01-2016, 07:36 AM
WvChamp
Rookie

From what I've been told....a brake controller is a brake controller. The more expensive ones just let you fine tune how much trailer brake you like.
I don't remember right off what brand I installed...but was lower to mid range price.

Old 07-03-2016, 02:18 PM
barrysuperhawk
Professional
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use the Tekonsha Prodigy myself, and it has handled trailers bigger than my truck with aplomb...

Old 07-04-2016, 12:33 AM
Friar Tuck
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Did you pay extra for aplomb?

Quick Reply: Brake controller question