3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Update on previous post for performance problems. Need help

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 02:34 PM
Racinartist
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Update on previous post for performance problems. Need help

Ok guys, I need to pick your technical brains. Since I last posted about my truck intermittently hesitating under acceleration, the problem has recently gotten worse. It seems like it only does it on really hot days (85F and above) and only on occasion. Also, a month or so ago I started hearing an exhaust manifold leak, which I assume is a broken stud since these 4.7s are notorious for that, but I don't know if that's related to the current issue. I figured I'd throw it out there anyway.

So yesterday while driving home from a job, the truck started bucking/hesitating like crazy, worse than ever, and the check engine light came on (the 1st time that's ever happened). I let it sit overnight and went out today and checked for any codes and the reader shows two of them.

B2100-IGNITION RUN/START INPUT CIRCUIT PERFORMANCE
P0300-MULTIPLE CYLINDER MISFIRE

So I have a misfire, which is likely what is causing the bucking/hesitation, but unfortunately that code doesn't tell me which cylinder :/ And I could use anyone's input on that and also what the B2100 code means too. I've been looking them up online but don't seem to be finding much info that would direct me to where to start looking first. I'm seeing that the misfire could be any number of a things. Coils, plugs, wires, EGR, catalytic converter, etc.

Any help with this would be GREATLY appreciated!

Old 07-21-2016, 09:31 PM
Deer Hunter
Veteran

Sounds like a camshaft position sensor. Mine went bad twice without throwing a code. And the second sensor only lasted 3 months. Current one is about 3 years old.

Last edited by Deer Hunter; 07-21-2016 at 09:35 PM.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:27 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Yeah, I also think you have a cam or crank sensor going bad. Do them both. DO NOT get aftermarket sensors. You'll thank me...

Old 07-22-2016, 06:04 PM
Racinartist
All Star

Thanks guys! I talked to my mechanic buddy today...I couldn't get a hold of him because he was on vacay...and we're going to check those things out next week. Oddly enough, it's been running fine the last 2 days :/

Old 07-25-2016, 08:52 AM
Soco3087
Rookie

Pulled this from the dealer service manual, hope it helps out. Let me know what happens and if it fixes the problem your having. I'm experiencing a similar problem, no codes yet for me just the guessing game.

Old 08-07-2016, 10:39 AM
Soco3087
Rookie

Any luck with the problem you had. Just wanted to see if you fixed it, might help me better troubleshoot my ongoing problem.

Quick Reply: Update on previous post for performance problems. Need help