3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Transmission concerns

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 01:30 PM
texasraider13
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission concerns

I currently own a 2007 Dodge Dakota with a 3.7 V6 and the 4 speed automatic transmission. Since I got the truck from my great grandfather a year ago at 69,000 miles, the tranny kicks from 1st to 2nd whenever you get on it and kicks higher than 3300 rpm. The higher the rpm, the harder the kick. I'm currently at 86,000 miles and it's gotten worse, kicking at the same times but slightly harder. Plus, on occasion, it will kick coming in and out of drive or reverse. Is this just the story of an older transmission, or is it a specific part that may be causing it? I flushed the transmission and replaced the filter, etc, and no change happened. If it is just starting to fail, would the 5 speed auto be a more reliable/sturdy tranny, or is rebuilt the way to go? Any advice or recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Last edited by texasraider13; 08-11-2016 at 01:34 PM.
Old 08-12-2016, 09:08 AM
pierrejoly
Veteran
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

you can't just swap in the 4 speed for the 5 speed. the transmissions are engine specific. you will need some kind of adapter and i don't know if any works for that.

as for kicking, it could be a u-joint issue. if there is slop in a u joint, then when it shifts, the transmission could rotate before the axles. To find out, you can either try and move the driveshaft (as i'm guessing you have it in 2wd) and see if it moves easily. alternatively, if you put it in 4wd, does it still do it? if so, then it could be something up front or could be something in the transmission as you are thinking.

I hope it turns out to be a u joint or cv joint on a driveshaft, i would hate to have to replace the transmission. you can also see if a transmission shop will help you diagnose the issue. It might not cost that much to ask them to open up the tranny and check it, they can give you a quote for repairs and if you don't want to repair it they'll put it back together.

Old 08-12-2016, 10:40 AM
texasraider13

Originally Posted by pierrejoly
you can't just swap in the 4 speed for the 5 speed. the transmissions are engine specific. you will need some kind of adapter and i don't know if any works for that.

as for kicking, it could be a u-joint issue. if there is slop in a u joint, then when it shifts, the transmission could rotate before the axles. To find out, you can either try and move the driveshaft (as i'm guessing you have it in 2wd) and see if it moves easily. alternatively, if you put it in 4wd, does it still do it? if so, then it could be something up front or could be something in the transmission as you are thinking.

I hope it turns out to be a u joint or cv joint on a driveshaft, i would hate to have to replace the transmission. you can also see if a transmission shop will help you diagnose the issue. It might not cost that much to ask them to open up the tranny and check it, they can give you a quote for repairs and if you don't want to repair it they'll put it back together.
Thanks for the input regarding the 5 speed. I didn't know what was involved In such an operation or if it would be simple or not.
It is a permanent 2wd and (I don't know if this would make a difference) it also happens in tow haul.
I've taken it to multiple mechanics and I've never gotten a straight issue, especially after it got worse. Shifting selonoid, some seal that escapes me at the moment, pressure plate, chipped gear, I've heard it all. Being a college student, I don't have the time or resources to try everything

Old 08-12-2016, 01:00 PM
pierrejoly
Veteran
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ah, so check the u joints on the driveshaft. if it there is excessive movement that is your culprit. If not, the best thing to do is bring it to a transmission shop. They might be able to tell you a bit more what the issue could be just by driving it.

tow haul just changes the shift points, it doesn't change anything else in the transmission. It's purely an electronic change. It helps to keep the engine at a better RPM and to avoid changing gears as often.

Old 08-13-2016, 11:31 PM
djibara
Professional

Are you getting any codes or check engine lights when this happens? could also be a shift solenoid

Old 08-19-2016, 11:49 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you need to replace your solenoid shift pack, do a google search and you will see they are easy to replace

Quick Reply: Transmission concerns