3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Hard to locate battery draw

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 11:37 AM
Antoniocool
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I figured out what fuse was causing it. I noticed the battery voltage was steadily dropping after driving and the battery being fully charged. It is fuse number 24 which is pcm b+
When I pull that fuse after a drive the battery voltage doesn't drop and after days it starts right up with the fuse reinstalled.
I threw a code P1607-PCM internal shutdown timer rationality that I told to a dodge mechanic and he assured me it was the battery which it was not the case. If anyone can advise me what I can do next that would be greatly appreciated

Old 01-16-2017, 03:11 AM
kinglineman79
Default Had the same problem

I also have the optima red top, believe it or not it went bad and gave me your same symptoms after 2 months. Traded it out and now going on 2 years no hiccups

Old 01-21-2017, 09:34 PM
JYC

I did a search, and came up with this.
http://www.justanswer.com/dodge/7vgo...ter-p1607.html

Yeah, it's for a Caliber, but for the most part, the codes are the same. Includes some simple tests you can do.

Old 03-02-2017, 05:10 PM
sawfish
Professional

Originally Posted by kinglineman79
I also have the optima red top, believe it or not it went bad and gave me your same symptoms after 2 months. Traded it out and now going on 2 years no hiccups
Unfortunately Optima battery quality has slipped significantly since manufacturing was moved south of the border.

Old 03-02-2017, 06:45 PM
BLUEBEE

ok here’s how i used to find out, and it works every time. Disconnect one of the battery terminals. Take a test light and put one end on the battery and the other end on the cable end. Don’t let the thermal contact the battery. Now with every thing off the test light should be off. If it is on, pull one fuse at a time. When the light goes off you have found the reason for your battery drain.

Last edited by BLUEBEE; 03-02-2017 at 07:25 PM.
Old 03-02-2017, 06:46 PM
BLUEBEE

ok here’s how i used to find out, and it works every time. Disconnect one of the battery terminals. Take a test light and put one end on the battery and the other end on the cable end. Don’t let the thermal contact the battery. Now with every thing off the test light should be off. If it is on, pull one fuse at a time. When the light goes off you have found the reason for your battery drain.

Last edited by BLUEBEE; 03-02-2017 at 07:24 PM.
Old 03-02-2017, 06:48 PM
BLUEBEE

ok here’s how i used to find out, and it works every time. Disconnect one of the battery terminals. Take a test light and put one end on the battery and the other end on the cable end. Don’t let the thermal contact the battery. Now with every thing off the test light should be off. If it is on, pull one fuse at a time. When the light goes off you have found thereason for your battery drain.

Last edited by BLUEBEE; 03-02-2017 at 06:49 PM. Reason: SPACING