3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

PCM or Transmission??

Old 04-09-2017, 04:29 PM
ahughesit
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCM or Transmission??

Codes that have come up:
P0700
P1775
P1776
P0732 - Gear 2 incorrect ratio
P0706 - Transmission Range Sensor
P0463 - Fuel Level Sensor Circuit High Input

All power train codes.

I've had it in the shop for the 1776 and 1775 which I was told was most likely the valve body and not the solenoid (I thought solenoid). This time the shop said the trans needs to be rebuilt, but it could be the PCM instead.

I've only been driving to and from work lately (12 mins each way) because the issue arises when I drive locally. The last time I drove on the highway I had no issues.

After driving around town for 45 minutes or so, the engine light comes on. When I stop at a light the transmission doesn't downshift from 3rd gear unless I nearly floor it. I also get any variation of the above listed codes and the trans temp light comes on. I've had the fluid and filter changed twice since July of 2016, coolant tested and it was fine.

The P0463 does seem legit though because my fuel gauge does drop to empty and the fuel light comes on. Coolant gauge also works only half of the time and only the last 3 numbers of the odometer light up normally. Smacking the instrument cluster a few times usually gets the odometer to light up properly and get the coolant gauge working again.
I'm not looking forward to dropping $800 for the PCM and another $2,500 to have the trans rebuilt. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Old 04-09-2017, 10:00 PM
erau
Veteran
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ahughesit
Codes that have come up:
P0700
P1775
P1776
P0732 - Gear 2 incorrect ratio
P0706 - Transmission Range Sensor
P0463 - Fuel Level Sensor Circuit High Input

All power train codes.

I've had it in the shop for the 1776 and 1775 which I was told was most likely the valve body and not the solenoid (I thought solenoid). This time the shop said the trans needs to be rebuilt, but it could be the PCM instead.

I've only been driving to and from work lately (12 mins each way) because the issue arises when I drive locally. The last time I drove on the highway I had no issues.

After driving around town for 45 minutes or so, the engine light comes on. When I stop at a light the transmission doesn't downshift from 3rd gear unless I nearly floor it. I also get any variation of the above listed codes and the trans temp light comes on. I've had the fluid and filter changed twice since July of 2016, coolant tested and it was fine.

The P0463 does seem legit though because my fuel gauge does drop to empty and the fuel light comes on. Coolant gauge also works only half of the time and only the last 3 numbers of the odometer light up normally. Smacking the instrument cluster a few times usually gets the odometer to light up properly and get the coolant gauge working again.
I'm not looking forward to dropping $800 for the PCM and another $2,500 to have the trans rebuilt. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Was an OEM filter used? And was the correct fluid type used?

Old 04-09-2017, 10:30 PM
ahughesit

The filter is oem and the fluid is to spec

Old 04-11-2017, 09:50 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

sounds like a battery issue, when was the last time it was changed out? might have a weak cell causing issues.

Old 04-15-2017, 09:04 AM
Soco3087
Rookie

Sounds like your having the same problem with your transmission that I have. I have issues getting my truck to down shift out of 3rd gear especially when driving it locally only difference is I don't have any codes being thrown. I have suspected it was my PCM for a while but never spent the money on a new one untill I was able to confirm that it was the problem. I have had that issue for over two year, it's a very annoying problem but still to this day no light or codes. Took it to the deal and they couldn't figure it out either. They told me to drive it till it brakes. My trucks an 08 v8 with only 63,000 on it. If I come up with any news as to what my issue is I'll post back as it may help you out.

Old 04-15-2017, 12:06 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 81 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by ahughesit
The filter is oem and the fluid is to spec
Not sure if you forgot the 's' in filters, but there are two filters in the trans.

Search this Thread