3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Occasional key fob or security system problem.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 08:39 PM
ForkliftJeff
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Occasional key fob or security system problem.

A few weeks back I started my truck (2008 Dakota 4x4 4.7L Quad) with the factory remote start like I usually do in the morning before work, but when I went out to the truck it would not unlock with the key fob. I pushed the unlock button a ton of times but nothing. I could see the factory security system light was on and flashing meaning it was still armed. Unlock button was still not working and I was becoming late for work. I figured I should be able to unlock the door manually, open the door, the alarm would start honking, and I could put the key in to disable it like on most security systems. Well not this time. The alarm started honking and I tired with the key in the ignition, turned to on, then to start and nothing. The truck turned off and the horn kept honking. Needless to say at 7am my neighbors loved me. So the truck honked for a few minutes as I went back inside to change the key fob battery. That still did not work.

I googled it and read that this has happened to many people. Some said they had to get the dealer to replace a module but some also said that after that it happened again. I went back out to the truck and pushed the unlock button on the key a million times and it finally unlocked.

I got to work about a half hour late, tried locking with the key fob and it wouldn't lock so I locked it manually which of course armed the truck. I asked one of my fellow mechanics who used to work for Dodge and he said the alarm should get bypassed as soon as you turn the key to on. So I went out, seen the alarm was set, unlocked with the key, opened the door and it started honking. As soon as I put the key in the ignition the alarm stopped.

It worked fine again for about a week but then it acted up again and I had to push the unlock button a ton of times before it would unlock. Since then it has done that a couple more times.

Any ideas what to try or maybe what module might be the culprit?

And FYI, when I bought my truck used about 6 years ago it only came with one key so I can't try another key.

Sorry for the long post but wanted to get all the info in there.

Old 04-21-2017, 04:58 PM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

check to see if the metal clip that holds the battery in, is starting to break away from its tabs, once these break the contact with the battery inside the fob is fubar. most people either solder it back together or just get a replacement key. also, by using the same key over time, the key starts to wear and the computer wont recognize the key anymore, happen to me one night out to dinner, luckily truck came with 2 keys,

Old 04-21-2017, 05:52 PM
ForkliftJeff
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just checked out the battery tabs and they look fine. Also cleaned the battery contact surfaces with alcohol but they were already pretty clean. I'll just have to wait and see if it does it again.