3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

2007 Dodge Dakota Surging Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 12:46 PM
Lbitchue
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Dodge Dakota Surging Issue

Hello,

I have a 2007 dodge dakota with the 4.7 liter flex fuel engine. I began having issues with my truck where the truck would surge in idle. This problem continued to get worse until the truck would surge from 1200-2000 rpms where it normally idles around 800. As this problem continued to get worse, I also began to have transmission issues when coming to a complete halt. As i would drop below about ten miles an hour, the truck would jolt as it tried to downshift, as though it was struggling. I started by cleaning the IAC, but had no luck. I found that some people had luck with changing the throttle position sensor, so i tried that and voila! All of my symptoms went away. Now, three weeks later, the problems are starting to come back again. I'm not sure if it could be the sensor going bad already, or if it is more likely a different issue that combined with a bad TPS to give me these problems. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Old 06-04-2017, 01:17 PM
Dakota2007

When you replaced the TPS was it with an OEM from the dealer or online/partstore aftermarket version? I had the same initial symptoms as you and followed advice to make sure I get OEM... worked like a charm. I also disconnected/reconnected the battery after swapout just to help it relearn everything. Its been running great ever since (about 10K miles ago). Experience says if its not OEM for these trucks the part won't last long.

Old 06-04-2017, 01:43 PM
dodgeman1977
Professional

Plus one on the OEM sensors.
I didn´t have as big of a rpm surge as you, but, when I did mine I cleaned the throttle body which is pretty easy, and replaced the IAC and TPS at the same time. For the cost of the IAC it made more sense to me to just replace it, and seeing how I had it off the TB anyway for cleaning, it wasn´t worth my time to clean it and put it back on and hope it worked.
I have a 2005 4.7L.

Old 06-04-2017, 09:23 PM
Lbitchue

It was not an OEM replacement part... I have never had any issues with non-OEM parts before so I never even thought about this. I took another look at the reviews on the sensor I bought and sure enough other people have had the exact same problem as me. I really appreciate the advice, thanks.