3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Rear window defroster mystery

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 07:27 PM
megabreath74
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear window defroster mystery

Hi,

I just bought a 2009 Dodge Dakota SXT 4WD Crew Cab Bighorn/Lonestar with a 4.7L V8.

I have a solid rear window with a defroster grid and prongs to power the grid, but there are no leads attached to the prongs.

Additionally, the manual that came with the trucks shows me exactly where the button is located to turn the defroster on, but my HVAC control center doesn't have the button shown in the owners manual.

I've attached some pics.

I guess it's possible that the previous owner broke their rear window and replaced it with one that had a defroster grid but never hooked it up?

Regardless - my question is this: Where can I find a kit (with wires, inline fuse, switch, switch mount, etc) to get this defroster hooked up?

Thank you for your time.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
HVAC Controls.jpg (319.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg
Rear Window Prong.jpg (85.5 KB, 9 views)
Old 07-23-2017, 07:58 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

edit: Just reread your post.

So yes, previous owner probably broke the rear window somehow and replaced it with a different window. I doubt any wiring is already in place, and you'd probably have to go to a dealer and have the rear defrost window option activated with the Starscan tool, provided you wire it all up. I don't recall a kit ever being offered.

Last edited by dakotaff; 07-23-2017 at 08:50 PM.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:13 PM
megabreath74
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dakotaff
edit: Just reread your post.

So yes, previous owner probably broke the rear window somehow and replaced it with a different window. I doubt any wiring is already in place, and you'd probably have to go to a dealer and have the rear defrost window option activated with the Starscan tool, provided you wire it all up. I don't recall a kit ever being offered.
Thank you dakotaff - I appreciate that. Going to the dealer is a good call, but I know they'll charge me a good $200 - $300 (if I'm lucky) if a diagnostic tool is involved.