3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

2006 dakota tranny rebuild software update

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 04:23 PM
yetivssasquatch
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 2006 dakota tranny rebuild software update

Hey everyone,
I'm new to the forum and wanted to shoot this question out to you in hopes i can resolve my issue. Recently i had to get my transmission rebuilt, so I took my tranny to AAMCO where they rebuilt the tranny and when my mechanic picked it up i learned that after my tranny gets installed i would have to take it back to get a software update. My mechanic did his research and checked ALLDATA to see if there's a service bulletin for this update. We found nothing, so i'm wondering if AAMCO is trying to get more money from me because apparently i would have to take the reassembled truck back to them where they have to do it for anther $150. Or is there a certain software update is needed when replacing the tranny? Just trying to do more research. Thanks

Last edited by yetivssasquatch; 08-01-2017 at 06:08 PM.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:58 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 337 Likes on 301 Posts

Never heard of that. Have you driven it yet? Any issues?

Old 08-01-2017, 09:36 PM
yetivssasquatch

Just had the rebuilt tranny reassembled and so far no issues.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:44 PM
yetivssasquatch
Post 06 dakota transmission re-learn

Hey everyone,

Hope to get some more insight on my current transmission rebuild. So, I just got my rebuilt transmission installed, i took it on a short drive and no issues. I wanted to know if anyone knew the re-learn procedure for 3rd gen dakota with a rebuilt transmission? i appreciate any of your input, thanks

Old 08-01-2017, 10:39 PM
dodgeman1977
Professional

So you had a guy pick the trans up from aamco, so they don't get to hit you for an install fee, so it sounds like they are trying to get more money somehow. I would ask why the software update was not included in the rebuild.

Old 08-01-2017, 10:44 PM
erau
Veteran
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by yetivssasquatch
Hey everyone,
I'm new to the forum and wanted to shoot this question out to you in hopes i can resolve my issue. Recently i had to get my transmission rebuilt, so I took my tranny to AAMCO where they rebuilt the tranny and when my mechanic picked it up i learned that after my tranny gets installed i would have to take it back to get a software update. My mechanic did his research and checked ALLDATA to see if there's a service bulletin for this update. We found nothing, so i'm wondering if AAMCO is trying to get more money from me because apparently i would have to take the reassembled truck back to them where they have to do it for anther $150. Or is there a certain software update is needed when replacing the tranny? Just trying to do more research. Thanks
They may be talking about having the TCM do a quick-learn. (I saw that you mentioned a re-learn in your other thread.)

If that's not done, it should re-learn itself over the span of a few days to a week, just like what it would do if you cleared the memory out manually by leaving the battery disconnected overnight.

If ever that was a necessity on my truck, I'd notice during re-learn some transmission shuddering while coasing from faster speeds for a couple days after the memory-clear, but then it always went away by the end of the week.

Old 08-02-2017, 07:54 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 337 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by yetivssasquatch
Hey everyone,

Hope to get some more insight on my current transmission rebuild. So, I just got my rebuilt transmission installed, i took it on a short drive and no issues. I wanted to know if anyone knew the re-learn procedure for 3rd gen dakota with a rebuilt transmission? i appreciate any of your input, thanks
Merged your duplicate threads. You only need to ask once.