3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Wiper fluid Motor and Fluid Level Sensor not working

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 09:42 AM
TerryTass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiper fluid Motor and Fluid Level Sensor not working

Hi, I just bought a 2005 Dodge Dakota ST. The problem I am having is that the wiper fluid motor and level sensor are both not working.
It's a little suspicious to be that both aren't working, I am pretty sure it is the voltage going to the motor and sensor.
I checked the voltage to the sensor (I only had a minute to check this morning) and it read about 3.5 volts. I just don't know what it should be reading ? Is 3.5 Volts right ?
Also, for the motor, should that be 12Volts ? (I haven't tested that yet)
I ordered a new sensor and motor and am hoping that sorts it out, but if it doesn't I think the wiring harness is the problem... if so, how do I go about repairing that ?
Where do I find a wiring diagram or instructions on how to fix it ?
Thanks
Terry

Old 10-13-2017, 03:44 PM
WvChamp
Rookie

Codes B2320, B231F sets when you try and use the washer pump.
Check the operation of the Washer Pump circuit by unplugging the Washer Pump Motor and placing a regular bulb type test light across both pins in place of the Washer Pump Motor. The test light should light in both switch directions. If not check for power on each wire individually with the test light attached to ground, then try moving the switch in both positions. Both wires should have power in one switch direction and ground in the other. If one of the wires doesn't have power on it in either position, check the wiring harness and Integrated Power Module (IPM) for an open circuit.
The Front Control Module (FCM) reverses the power to the Washer Pump Motor for front and rear operation, pin 12 is power for the front and pin 11 is for the rear window. Removing the FCM and supplying power and ground at these pins will drive the Washer pump Motor. Switch the polarity will driver the Washer Pump Motor the other way.

Old 10-13-2017, 04:30 PM
TerryTass

Originally Posted by WvChamp
Codes B2320, B231F sets when you try and use the washer pump.
Check the operation of the Washer Pump circuit by unplugging the Washer Pump Motor and placing a regular bulb type test light across both pins in place of the Washer Pump Motor. The test light should light in both switch directions. If not check for power on each wire individually with the test light attached to ground, then try moving the switch in both positions. Both wires should have power in one switch direction and ground in the other. If one of the wires doesn't have power on it in either position, check the wiring harness and Integrated Power Module (IPM) for an open circuit.
The Front Control Module (FCM) reverses the power to the Washer Pump Motor for front and rear operation, pin 12 is power for the front and pin 11 is for the rear window. Removing the FCM and supplying power and ground at these pins will drive the Washer pump Motor. Switch the polarity will driver the Washer Pump Motor the other way.
Thank you, I will give that all a try.

Old 04-08-2018, 11:30 AM
Nick Bain
Professional

this looks promising. could this also be why it doesn't like to drop into full highway gear all the time? (revs don't drop all the way sometimes)

Last edited by Nick Bain; 04-08-2018 at 11:43 AM.