3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

P0846 & p0700

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 01:17 PM
jcradi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0846 & p0700

Have a 2006 Dakota SLT with 3.7L and 42RLE transmission (72000 miles). Was having issues about a month or so ago; going into limp mode (P0750). Rebuilt the valve body myself: new solenoid pack, new pressure solenoid, and new pressure transducer; still a problem. Took it to the local transmission shop, and they did all of the same replacements I did. They ended up doing it twice as the solenoid pack they received from Chrysler was defective; they believe the one I put in was bad as well. Got the truck back and it drove fine for ~350 miles. Last weekend I helped someone move, going up and down multiple hills in ~ 85 DEGF weather. Went into limp mode and threw P0700 and P0846 codes. Reset the codes and all seemed fine. I checked the fluid level and saw that it had been overfilled by almost a quart. Drained the excess out and drove the vehicle several days without any issues. Drove about 30 miles today in ~65 DEGF weather; all was well until I started up a steep hill by my house and darn it, it went into limp mode again. Reset it and all was well even coming up the same hill again.

Not sure if this is temperature related or if I'm not getting adequate flow or what.. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John

Last edited by jcradi; 10-14-2017 at 01:29 PM.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:36 PM
WvChamp
Rookie

P0846: This code indicates a problem with the 2C pressure switch circuit. This pressure switch closes with pressure and should be closed in 2nd gear and 4th gear only. If the code is intermittent, there will be no way to know for sure what is defective at this point. It could be an intermittent pressure switch problem or a wiring fault between the transmission and the Powertrain Control Module (PCM).
One Confirmed Fix: Replaced 2/4 Clutch Snap Ring.
One Confirmed Fix: Replaced PCM.
Hope this helps

Old 10-17-2017, 11:14 PM
jcradi

Thanks for the input. Will continue to investigate the issue and will post if I pinpoint the issue.

John