3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Info for those with P0344 code

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 01:15 PM
JCinTenn
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Info for those with P0344 code

Just wanted to let you all know what happened with my 2007 TRX4 3.7 V6 Manual truck the last few weeks. Hopefully someone may find this useful in the future.

Problems began while driving to work one morning. While accelerating on an on-ramp to merge with traffic, my check engine light came on and the truck started bucking and wouldn't rev past about 3000 RPM. Went to Autozone, had codes read, and came up with P0344 - Camshaft position sensor signal intermittent. So I went ahead and purchased a new Cam position sensor at Autozone. Limped home, replaced sensor. That did not solve the problem. Did a little reading on the internet, and discovered this could potentially be caused by a bad Crankshaft position sensor. Went to Advance auto, purchased Crankshaft position sensor and replaced it. CEL light went out....only for a little while, then would come back with same problem of bucking and power loss. I then bought my own scan tool and cleared the codes. It would keep coming back after a few days. Then I got a P1128 and P1129 - Fuel System not going into "Closed Loop" mode.

I did a little more research and found out that I should probably try replacing the Cam and Crank sensors with OEM Mopar parts. Ordered those from Rock Auto and replaced both sensors. THAT solved it. Truck has not had the CEL come back on, and no more problems with power loss/bucking. The P1128 and P1129 codes have NOT returned either.

So, lessons learned:

1. Bad Cam sensor code P0344 CAN be caused by a bad Crank sensor.
2. Buy only OEM Mopar sensors if you have to replace them. I'm sure many of you probably would say "I told you so!" LOL.
3. P1128 and 1129 were related to the bad sensors.

I have continued to hook up my scan tool periodically and check for any codes, either stored or pending. All has been well so far, and the truck is running better than it has in a while! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this is fixed for good now, but I'll let y'all know if anything changes!

Jason

Quick Reply: Info for those with P0344 code