3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Security Alarm going off with FOB & Door

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 10:49 PM
Edzzy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Security Alarm going off with FOB & Door

I have a 2005 Dakota that is setting off the alarm and honking horn when I unlock the doors with the key FOB or when I unlock the door with key and open the door. I can lock and unlock the doors with the key FOB but it always sets off the alarm, and when I insert key into ignition and turn the key it does not turn off the alarm. I did notice that the Red Security Indicator LED turns on for 3 seconds when ignition key is turned on and then goes out, however when I lock the doors with the key FOB the Security indicator LED does not flash to indicate the alarm system is armed. I have temporarily disconnected the horn so that I can use the truck without disturbing the neighborhood. I am reluctant to bring it to dealer until I do a thorough check myself, any diagnostic help would be appreciated.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:36 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Background info please.....just started randomly? Whats changed recently if so? Changed the batteries in the FOB? The more info you can provide, the easier it is to offer assistance instead of guessing or having to ask you questions...

Old 02-20-2018, 09:26 PM
Edzzy

Here is the background, bought the truck last spring to pull my camping trailer, truck has 115,000 Km, 4.7L, 4x4, 4 door. Changed all fluids, spark plugs, brakes, and put on 12,000 KM travelling out east pulling trailer, truck ran fine, everything worked ok. Parked the truck at end of last summer and drove it occasionally, every few weeks to keep battery charged. In November i took it out for a ride and noticed the cruise control would not turn on, but did not check into it. Several weeks later I changed the steering shaft and took it out for a ride, on my way back when turning onto my road the truck hesitated (power stearing got hard) and dash lights flashed, continued home and truck seemed to run fine. One week later I open the door and the alarm goes off with horn honking, the doors were unlocked, I tried locking/unlocking with FOB to stop alarm but that did not work. The alarm would go off for about a minute and stop, starting the truck does not silence the horn when it goes off. Since then the alarm goes off whenever it is left alone for 10 minutes or more and I try to open the door or lock/unlock using the FOB. The other thing I notice is that the Security indicator light does not go on when locking the doors with FOB, which I remember that it would flash when locked last summer. I have opened the FOB's (x2) and checked the battery voltage which are both at or above 3 volts, they both seem to lock and unlock the doors fine so I would assume the batteries are fine. I tried disconnecting the truck battery over night but problem still remains, I can drive the truck with the horns disconnected and it runs fine. A couple of weeks ago the airbag light came on so I will need to look into that also.

Old 02-21-2018, 04:33 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 81 Likes on 78 Posts

A weak battery will cause strange electrical issues, I would suggest replacing it, which may remedy the issues. If you can get an SRS code reader (Advanced code reader), see what is causing the airbag light issue, sometimes a weak battery will cause that issue. The airbag light has always been a hint that it's time to replace the battery on Ford vehicles.

Old 03-18-2018, 07:03 PM
Edzzy

Problem resolved!! I replaced the clock-spring connector in the steering wheel to fix the issue with horn, cruise control, and airbag light, and now my alarm works as it should. After taking out the clock-spring I could see that it was damaged, which likely happened when I encountered the "hard steering" episode a few months ago. See picture attached.

Looks like the rotating plastic wheel bound up and busted through the housing.

Old 03-18-2018, 07:33 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 81 Likes on 78 Posts

Glad that you figured it out.

Quick Reply: Security Alarm going off with FOB & Door