3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

by pass trans cooler to use after market trans cooler

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 02:29 PM
David Kalinowski
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default by pass trans cooler to use after market trans cooler

I have had the joy of dealing with the stock radiator/trans cooler allowing the fluids to mix recently.. so I want to bypass the sock cooler and I think this
https://www.amazon.com/Hayden-Automotive-679-Rapid-Cool-Transmission/dp/B000C3BBKS https://www.amazon.com/Hayden-Automotive-679-Rapid-Cool-Transmission/dp/B000C3BBKS
should handle the job. I dont two much of anything a 16 FT aluminum jon boat, and if a friend needs a fridge or TV or something. nothing close to the actual capacity of the truck. just looking for oppions if this would be good enough or over kill? ( I do plan on getting a small-medium camper in a couple years though) Thanks for any help. (and sorry if this is the wrong section seemed kinda generalish subject.)

Old 03-25-2018, 02:04 PM
FaceDeAce
Veteran
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

A few details about the truck you have will be helpful.
In general, there is no such thing as too much cooling on a transmission. There is a very bad thing of having too little.
Suggestion is to look at the GVWR on the door sticker of your truck. Pick a cooler that is rated for at least that, going +20% over for confidence.
Also have a good look at the fan clutch while you are under the hood to ensure it is functioning properly to provide good cooling.

The etrailer site is quite good as a reference. Good information as well as links and tools on the site help with sizing and selection of components. Check it out.
www.etrailer.com

www.etrailer.com/fitguidetran.htm

Last edited by FaceDeAce; 03-26-2018 at 02:33 AM.
Old 03-25-2018, 02:47 PM
David Kalinowski
Rookie

05 Dakota quad cab 4x4 4.7l with 3.55 rear gear. Thanks for the tips

Old 03-28-2018, 11:55 PM
regg187
Rookie

I didn't see where you are located, or the enviorment that the vehicle will be used in.. That unit is the size I put on mine added to the stock unit. In an average enviorment I would say its on the too small size. if you live in Fairbanks ak your probably fine. Remember the stock set up works both ways. It warms the fluid if your in a cold enviorment and cools it a little if in a warm enviorment. Remember only a small amount of atf gets sent through the lines to the coolers relative to the overall capacity of the trans. It really does suck that your radiator failed in keeping the fluids separate. When I had my trans replace, the guy handling it warned me about that happening. he suggested a cooler that is what you are wanting to do but it was as big as the ac condenser and was 400+$. . the way I look at things if your not gonna get the right stuff, then just get the one your looking at and add it to the stock cooler, with a new radiator it will be many years until that happens again if it ever does.

Old 03-29-2018, 12:40 AM
David Kalinowski
Rookie

I'm in mid Missouri, our Summers can be hot 85-90+ f is pretty average, for a few months any ways. Our winters can be cold many days at or below freezing. It got freakishly cold this year and we actually had underground mains breaking from being frozen. I'll look into bigger coolers, I'll run stock for the time being though. Repair guys are chatting an electrical issue now, it keeps throwing code p0755 they've tried two selonoid packs now. They think it could be the pcm.. I'm starting to regret buying this truck.. wishing I had just got like an old 70s or 80s truck with no electronics lol

Old 03-30-2018, 09:55 AM
regg187
Rookie

any time gen 3 Dakotas have electrical issues, always check the battery condition, they are super sensitive to batteries that are not 100% good, and its free.

Quick Reply: by pass trans cooler to use after market trans cooler