3rd Gen Dakota 2005+ Dakota's
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Vin trace for Pennsylvania

Old 04-13-2018, 12:23 PM
Smokeykurt
Default Vin trace for Pennsylvania

Hello All,

I'm relatively new to the forums so please let me know if i'm putting this thread in the wrong place.

I recently bought a Dodge Dakota (2005, 3.7L, 4WD, extended cab) from Ohio. In order to title it in Pennsylvania (where I live) I need to provide a VIN trace for the vehicle. For those not from PA, a VIN trace in PA is literally how it sounds...grab a pencil and a piece of paper, pop it over the raised VIN and trace away. Pretty silly that's a thing in PA...but whatever lol. I've located the VIN on the dash...which I can't possibly get to to trace without a ridiculous amount of taking things apart. The VIN on the door is not raised or stamped (just printed on the sticker) and i'm having a hard time finding a raised or stamped iteration elsewhere. Checked the wheel wells with no luck, checked the front of the engine, checked by the firewall, checked around the frame some. Couldn't find another raised/stamped VIN. Maybe i'm looking in the wrong place, or maybe its all covered in dirt/gunk or something and that's why i'm missing it. Or maybe I'm just being stupid and it is staring me in the face.

Anybody have a detailed description of where I could find a raised or stamped VIN on this guy so I can trace it? Maybe even a pic (Just the location, blur the actual VIN of course)? That would be awesome.

In PA, I could take a picture of the dash VIN and then have that signed and certified (probably for a bit of money..although I have a certified mechanic friend who's about 50 minutes drive away who would probably do that free)...it's just a pretty big hassle, some drive time/gas, and then i'd have to find a day I can get off work to drive it out as I work M-F 9-5pm and he's not open on weekends. If I found the VIN and trace it myself, it's entirely free and I can fill out PA form MV-41 and be done with it!

Thanks in advance for any/all suggestions!

Old 04-13-2018, 01:53 PM
daktwos
Rookie

take a piece of carbon paper and place it over and rub out with a popsicle stick?

Old 04-13-2018, 02:52 PM
Smokeykurt

Originally Posted by daktwos View Post
take a piece of carbon paper and place it over and rub out with a popsicle stick?
For the dash VIN? I guess I didn't think of using something other than regular pencil/paper. When I first looked at the dash VIN I thought "no way in heck am I getting it from there" and started looking elsewhere. So ruled it out pretty quick.

If nobody chimes in with an easier to reach spot I'll make a trip to the dollar store for some carbon paper, have one of the kids kill a popsickle and give it a try. Thanks!

Old 04-16-2018, 09:08 AM
Smokeykurt

Well, no luck with the pop-sickle approach (although the kids enjoyed it lol). Couldn't get it legible. I talked with the DMV and it also appears i'm going to have to provide the GVWR/GAWR for the VIN trace/verification as well (requirement in PA for trucks apparently. it is on the door sticker but not pencil traceable)...so essentially i'm going to have to take some pics to my certified mechanic buddy and have him sign them anyway. Thanks for trying to help though folks!

Old 04-16-2018, 10:49 AM
wingman7000
Amateur

You could rent an OBDII scanner for free from an auto parts store and get the VIN that way.

Old 04-16-2018, 11:24 AM
jkeaton
Site Super Moderator

Talk about government overreach. Insane.

Old 04-17-2018, 05:27 PM
TurboRev

Here's a link to a Mopar VIN tutorial that will show you where to locate the VIN on your dashboard or driver's side door jamb. Hope this helps. https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/serv...in-number.html