3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

2006 Dodge Dakota 4.7 L (running but bogging down)

Old 05-07-2018, 01:11 PM
DakotaBrothers
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2006 Dodge Dakota 4.7 L (running but bogging down)

I own a 2006 Dodge Dakota with a 4.7 L v8 in it. I have been driving my truck now and have been realizing its been acting up a bit. its been driving funky where after the truck gets to operating temps it feels like i'm pulling a huge load (even though im not), the truck hesitates and engine bogs way down. Any feedback is highly appreciated. Thank you, I did notice it ran better when I turned on the tow/haul option on. I do believe I have an evap leak or a vacuum leak one of those two, I would love to here feed back on where the leak could be coming from and also any feed back about the bogging down problem. Thank you !

Last edited by DakotaBrothers; 05-07-2018 at 01:13 PM.
Old 05-07-2018, 01:22 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Had is scanned for codes? When was your last tune up? How many miles? The more information you can give us, the less questions we have to ask you and can begin to assist quicker.

Old 05-07-2018, 01:34 PM
DakotaBrothers

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Had is scanned for codes? When was your last tune up? How many miles? The more information you can give us, the less questions we have to ask you and can begin to assist quicker.
Scanned for codes at local parts store (auto-zone) wasn't anything but was a talk of evap or vacuum leak but when i get it scanned again it doesn't come up. I believe it comes off and on but engine light says off the whole time. Last tune up wasn't to long ago I did a lot to (changed spark plugs, individually cleaned fuel injectors, changed oil, changed coolant, changed intake manifold gaskets). It does have a whopping 220,000 miles on it. And I understand about giving you guys more information, (I am new to this) thanks for responding so fast.

Old 05-07-2018, 01:35 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Thanks for the info. Are you sure it's engine related and not transmission related?

Old 05-07-2018, 01:48 PM
DakotaBrothers

No Problem, And never thought of it like that. What in the transmission would be causing these effects. (drives awesome when your pushing it and it flies through gears), but as soon as you give it a small bit of throttle and try and cruise it feels like it shifts into to low of a gear. after it shifts into this so called low gear it takes for ever to switch up to a higher gear (meaning i have to push the pedal down about 3/4 or more just to switch out of that low low gear). Another thing I noticed is when trying to just relax and cruise it will shift into that really low gear or so it seems like it as i said before (and the rpm's drop very low) but as soon as you let go of gas the rpms rise up a little bit and then you apply your foot on the gas again you can drive very smoothly for about but 5 seconds until it slowly drops in rpms again even though you are applying more throttle like it is towing something super super heavy. It just doesn't make sense cause your applying more throttle which should raise rpm but instead it lowers it and then your foot becomes so far down that it kicks it into a higher gear. Thats a lot to take in and I hope it made sense thanks.

Old 05-07-2018, 02:07 PM
Seventime
Rookie

Search the forum for ' limp mode'. That may be what your experiencing.
Seems to be a bit of a common problem on here.

Old 05-07-2018, 02:07 PM
DakotaBrothers

Originally Posted by Seventime
Search the forum for ' limp mode'. That may be what your experiencing.
Seems to be a bit of a common problem on here.
Ok thank you very much Ill give it a shot

Old 05-07-2018, 02:10 PM
Seventime
Rookie

Keeps us updated as it will help other members who experience the same issues

Old 05-07-2018, 02:14 PM
DakotaBrothers

Will do, Just one last question for a 4.7 L v8 engine what is a common evap or vacuum leak area if you know, Thanks

Old 05-07-2018, 02:33 PM
Seventime
Rookie

Originally Posted by DakotaBrothers
Will do, Just one last question for a 4.7 L v8 engine what is a common evap or vacuum leak area if you know, Thanks
a vacuum leak you should be able to hear under the hood.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2006 Dodge Dakota 4.7 L (running but bogging down)