3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

New 4.7 Owner

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 01:39 PM
19dhyer
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 4.7 Owner

Hey I'm brand new here. I recently acquired a 2006 Dodge Dakota Slt with the non-HO 4.7L V8 Automatic. I've searched through tons of forums and I've seen mixed answers and reviews. But I was wondering what are some recommended mods to do on this truck, so far I have only done a resonator delete, and I am soon to get a Dynomax muffler and put that on as well. I also am going to get a 2" Leveling kit. What has been done for lowering engine bay Temp? What Chips and tuners actually work? What are some Diy mods that have been done? What about Exterior Aesthetic Mods? Interior Mods? Any Junkyard mods? Anything done I am open to any ideas.

Last edited by 19dhyer; 05-10-2018 at 01:43 PM.
Old 05-10-2018, 02:14 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 338 Likes on 302 Posts

Welcome aboard! Super chips tuner is the first thing you should do. There is one for sale in the classifieds section right now. Most mods will be DIY since there is hardly any aftermarket support for these trucks. If you are 4x4, don't go over 2" spacers or you will make quick work of your front end components. Unfortunately these trucks were not designed to be lifted. Free up the exhaust and intake, tuner, e-fan, ported throttle body will net you some seat of the pants power gains. As stated, tuner should be at the top of your list. Search around this section for whatever you plan to do or want info on. Chances are if you are thinking about doing something, it's already been done. This is mine. I did quite a few custom mods to it.

Old 05-10-2018, 02:57 PM
19dhyer
Amateur

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Welcome aboard! Super chips tuner is the first thing you should do. There is one for sale in the classifieds section right now. Most mods will be DIY since there is hardly any aftermarket support for these trucks. If you are 4x4, don't go over 2" spacers or you will make quick work of your front end components. Unfortunately these trucks were not designed to be lifted. Free up the exhaust and intake, tuner, e-fan, ported throttle body will net you some seat of the pants power gains. As stated, tuner should be at the top of your list. Search around this section for whatever you plan to do or want info on. Chances are if you are thinking about doing something, it's already been done. This is mine. I did quite a few custom mods to it.

it is a 4x4 but I hardly go offroad and doubt i will do a lot of it. Will it still wear out the components if 4x4 is not active? I really like the hood on your truck. Did that come with it or is it from an R/T or something?

Old 05-10-2018, 03:32 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Adding spacers puts the CV axles, tie rods, sway bar end links and ball joints at angles they are not designed to operate in. The front ends on these trucks are crappy anyway but adding spacers will hasten their demise. Just replace everything with Moog parts when they do break. I got the hood scoop off amazon....lol...worked real hard to make it look original to the truck.

Old 05-11-2018, 03:05 PM
dodgeman1977
Professional

Grille mod, halo headlights, oversized single din radio with back up camera, and short ram air intake. I haven't really tested the intake on a long distance hot day, so I dont have real input on that

Last edited by dodgeman1977; 05-11-2018 at 05:35 PM.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:53 PM
dodgeman1977
Professional

Hey jkeaton, I´m sure I have seen it on here before, but could you remind me which scoop that is. That looks great and now I want one.

Old 05-12-2018, 08:02 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Originally Posted by dodgeman1977
Hey jkeaton, I´m sure I have seen it on here before, but could you remind me which scoop that is. That looks great and now I want one.
The link is in this thread somewhere. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...hoodscoop.html

Quick Reply: New 4.7 Owner