3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Transmission Temperature Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 11:34 PM
Ungarminh
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Temperature Sensor

Hey guys, was hoping to get some input from a few other people because I'm stumped and hoping for the best.

I've got a 2006 Dakota, 4.7L and have been having my transmission temperature light coming on on trips lets than 30 minutes. The truck will act perfect until the light comes on, then it'll start shifting hard. However, if I pull the truck over, turn it off and start it right back up, the light is off and the truck runs fine again. I spoke with some people on Reddit, as well as two mechanics, who both recommended I replace my filters/fluid/etc. so I did that and I've still got the problem.

Does this sound at all like the sensor may be bad or am I looking at a more expensive job?

Appreciate any help.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I had one of the mechanics pull the codes from my truck and a P0218 does come up.

Old 05-27-2018, 05:41 PM
19dhyer
Amateur

I have the exact same problem and no clue as to why

Old 05-28-2018, 12:48 AM
Bajabob
Rookie
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I get this problem intermittently as well. I remember reading a thread in this forum, that commented on the fact that the AC evaporator sits above sensor and it drips over the wire connectors for the trans temp sensor. I haven't had time to investigate it yet. I seem to have the problem more often when I run the ac. Might want to check the connectors for corrosion as a starting point. Let us know if that works. I need to try and look at it myself. I'll let you know what I find out.

Old 05-30-2018, 03:36 AM
Ungarminh

I'll be honest. I was thinking of not even coming back to the forums because I've shamed myself so bad. BUT, I figured, if I did it, someone else may as well.

The reason said light would come on is because the transmission fluid actually was hot. The reason said transmission fluid was hot was because my coolant was low. The only thing that makes me feel better about this is that neither of the mechanics I took it to figured that out either. I was seriously embarrassed when I had a light bulb appear over my head, advising me to check my coolant.

Old 05-30-2018, 11:12 AM
19dhyer
Amateur

Originally Posted by Ungarminh
I'll be honest. I was thinking of not even coming back to the forums because I've shamed myself so bad. BUT, I figured, if I did it, someone else may as well.

The reason said light would come on is because the transmission fluid actually was hot. The reason said transmission fluid was hot was because my coolant was low. The only thing that makes me feel better about this is that neither of the mechanics I took it to figured that out either. I was seriously embarrassed when I had a light bulb appear over my head, advising me to check my coolant.
my only problem is my coolant isnt low 😂

Old 05-30-2018, 10:30 PM
Bajabob
Rookie
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And mine can come on in just a short time of driving and the water temp gauge is at its normal setting. I think it is the condensation from the evap unit.

Quick Reply: Transmission Temperature Sensor