3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

2005 dakota transmission not talking to computer?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 10:10 AM
sjarmstrong84
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 dakota transmission not talking to computer?

I own a 2005 Dodge Dakota SLT 4.7L Quad cab 2x4 . For almost Two years this trucks transmission has been acting up. I have changed the fluid and filters , cleaned the valves and unplugged a few exterior sensors and cleaned them with contact cleaner. There is nothing physically wrong with this transmission. I believe it is mental. When started cold it seems fine until hot, at that point if I turn the truck off for a brief moment and re-start . It won't know which gear it is in.
The icon on the dash doesn't even appear to signify which gear it is in. I have always counted so I didn't notice it at first. When in "D" it seems it's stuck in 3rd or 4th. I can manually shift into 1st or 2nd. But will it shift itself. When parked in this condition, I could let it rest and come out and Start it again. It would be fine but now it's always like this. Has this happened to anyone else out there?!!!

Old 07-20-2018, 02:43 PM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if the truck doesn't have a tranny cooler I would suggest installing one, for some reason your tranny is running to hot, also check your radiator for blockage, might not be letting the fluid circulate to cool

Quick Reply: 2005 dakota transmission not talking to computer?