3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

change tranny fluid and filter

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 06:20 PM
stetson
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should be doing a pan drop and filter change every 30k. (Thats Not a complete fluid change its about half of it) .the warranty on my trans actually requires it every 15k iirc

Old 12-01-2018, 07:55 AM
philipat
Veteran
Received 48 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by stetson
You should be doing a pan drop and filter change every 30k. (Thats Not a complete fluid change its about half of it) .the warranty on my trans actually requires it every 15k iirc
AS

That seems a bit frequent unless you're doing a lot towing, hauling or off-roading. The manufacturer specs are every 60K for daily drivers. Don't think a warranty can require a frequency higher than the factory specs. Shouldn't the warranty have expired on most of our trucks by now? Is it 5yrs or 10yrs for the power train?

Not that more frequent changes will hurt...just may not be necessary.

Old 12-02-2018, 12:41 AM
stetson
Rookie

I have a fully built aftermarket transmission with a 500k mile warranty. I may or may not have melted my original transmission's guts out of it after towing and digging through sand and mud over the axles for an extended length of time.

Also i was more getting at simply droping the pan and changing the filter is not the 60k service that is recommended. That would require pumping out ALL the fluid not just whats in the pan. But if you dont want to fight with that you can just up the service interval to about 30k since you only get roughly half of the fluid out with a pan drop the filter will need to be changed sooner and the fluid won't have the same life span as 100% new fluid

Last edited by stetson; 12-02-2018 at 12:50 AM.
Old 12-02-2018, 08:22 AM
philipat
Veteran

I have a fully built aftermarket transmission with a 500k mile warranty. I may or may not have melted my original transmission's guts out of it after towing and digging through sand and mud over the axles for an extended length of time.
Nice! With a warranty like that, they must have made some upgrades. Is a rebuilt and upgraded transmission? Or, a completely different build from the ground up?

Also i was more getting at simply droping the pan and changing the filter is not the 60k service that is recommended. That would require pumping out ALL the fluid not just whats in the pan. But if you dont want to fight with that you can just up the service interval to about 30k since you only get roughly half of the fluid out with a pan drop the filter will need to be changed sooner and the fluid won't have the same life span as 100% new fluid
Makes sense. I've been taking that approach with my wife's Odyssey. It's transmission seems to act up before the service interval. But, I can fix that by doing a simple drain-and-fill (for about 1/3 of the fluid) every 15K or so. Fortunately, it's easier to do that since it has a drain plug.

Old 12-02-2018, 09:33 AM
stetson
Rookie

Its a reman and upgrade. Also they make pans for ours with plugs come to think of it i should order one since i gotta service everything next weekend

Old 12-02-2018, 09:52 AM
philipat
Veteran

Its a reman and upgrade. Also they make pans for ours with plugs come to think of it i should order one since i gotta service everything next weekend
Nice...gotta link?

Old 12-02-2018, 11:30 PM
stetson
Rookie

Its an ats diesel trans. https://www.atsdiesel.com/ats2/index.asp You'll have to special order it by emailing or calling them since they dont seem to market it for the 3.7l jeeps anymore. I had to special order mine back when they did market them, still had to send them my trans first so they could make sure everything was the same.

Old 12-03-2018, 02:03 PM
Seventime
Rookie

​​​​​what brand of filters are you guys using?

Old 12-06-2018, 12:08 AM
pilotsmack
Professional
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Its an ats diesel trans. https://www.atsdiesel.com/ats2/index.asp You'll have to special order it by emailing or calling them since they dont seem to market it for the 3.7l jeeps anymore. I had to special order mine back when they did market them, still had to send them my trans first so they could make sure everything was the same.
Not to hijack the thread but.... dang.... I'm jealous!

Went stock. Dated a girl who works for parts at one of the Chrysler dealerships in town and got a deal. Had lots of weird shifts before, but no issues since.

Quick Reply: change tranny fluid and filter