3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Coil Pack Mounting Bolt

Old 12-02-2018, 04:21 PM
philipat
Veteran
Received 48 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Coil Pack Mounting Bolt

Last weekend, I decided to change my upper bank of spark plugs. The truck is at 49K; so, it was time. Being my first go at changing spark plugs, I found a video online to help (here, if interested:
). Got the spark plugs and extra rubber boots from Rock Auto. It was also a great opportunity to clean the throttle body, which it barely needed. For those that haven't done this and want to, a couple of tips not in the video:

1) The Craftsman flex spark plug socket (model #43322) doesn't fit. It's not a thin-wall socket, or at least not thin enough.
2) The Duralast spark plug socket with 6" extension (model 75-499) fit like a champ.
3) The coil pack mounting bolts should be tightened just past finger tight (i.e., snug); not cranked down.

Getting all of the plugs out and back in was easy, just like the video. The coil packs took some firm, slow pulling; but, they popped out without tearing any of the boots. (Dielectric grease should make it easier next time.) So, everything was going smoothly until the third coil pack's (2nd one from the firewall) mounting bolt snapped because I was cranking them too much. (That's how I learned tip #3) I backed off on tightening the bolts and everything else went smooth.

Over the last week, I research ways to deal with the snapped bolt, the end of which was still in the block. I got a bolt extracting kit and used a Dremel to drill a pilot hole for hit. But, the hole was off-center (next time I'll use a center punch). So, plan B...I grabbed a small pointed grinding stone for the Dremel and carefully ground a slot in the top of the bolt part that was still in the block. Then, using a small (smallest in a Craftsman set) screwdriver, I backed out the bolt fragment. It came out pretty easily once I could turn it since there wasn't any tension on it. The replacement bolt is a 6mm-1.0 x60mm bolt from Home Depot. It fit nicely and I saved having to buy a new coil pack.

Note: the spacer/bolt guide is held to the OEM bolt by a small collar at the top of the threads. Remove the collar to reuse the spacer/guide with the new bolt. You'll also want a fender washer under the bolt head since the OEM bolt is flanged.

If you make the same mistake, before trying to back out the bolt piece, start with some creeping oil or WD-40 just to loosen it some. Then, clean out the oil and shavings before reinstalling everything.

Hopefully, this is of some use to someone else that breaks off a mounting bolt.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Coil Pack Mounting Bolt