3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Transmission clunk 3rd Gen

Old 07-13-2019, 11:35 PM
dakotabich
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission clunk 3rd Gen

Hey guys,

06 Dakota 4.7 V8 quad.

Been having issues with my tranny since Jiffy Lube touched it -thanks guys 🙄- an wasn’t going back for them to break it even more.

So here’s the low down;
Truck can run great for a couple days then after being parked overnight, next morning i will start it it runs for a couple mins. Get in an go to shift into reverse and it clunks HARD and doesn’t want reverse without a decent amount of pressure on the gas pedal. Go to shift into Drive, same thing, clunks HARD and jumps a little. Lots of gas to go forward, after a minute or two of driving engine management light comes on.
When driving it will not shift into 3rd, an revs just increase the faster I drive. IE on the highway doing 100kmph RPMs are at 3,000.

I can add 300ish ml tranny fluid an give it half hour an it drives fine, it seems to be burning it off??
TSS (?) Sensor was replaced and it had a flush about 8 months ago and it was great for about a month with no issues.
Hubby is done with the truck -so am I haha- an my mechanic guy is currently out of town, of course right when I need him!

Any suggestions??? Anything would be helpful at this point!!

Thanks in Advance )

Old 07-14-2019, 07:31 AM
erau
Veteran
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

If I'm reading it correctly, you say that you had the transmission "flushed" instead of a simple fluid exchange? Big no-no...That can send contaminants back into the small places inside the transmission that they shouldn't be. Hopefully that's not the case and the transmission is not to forgone to be properly serviced without rebuild.

Second, I'm assuming that *if* Jiffy Lube replaced one or both tranny fluid filters in addition to the flush (there are 2 on the 4.7L transmission: a spin-on one and a flat one), they would have used aftermarket filter(s) instead of factory-replacement ("OEM") filters...We've heard of many tranny issues in the past on this board after people use aftermarket filters on these transmissions instead of factory-replacement. (Could be because the fluid flow rate through the aftermarket filters is more restricted than the factory-replacement ones.)

If it were me, I would get the truck to a Dodge dealer for a proper transmission service (if the transmission is acting that poorly, I may consider having it towed there to prevent trans damage) and have them replace *both* filters with factory-replacement parts. If anyone is going to be able to make it right before a worst-case scenario, it's them.

Old 07-14-2019, 10:09 AM
Jaded
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Be sure the fluid level is correct. I'm a little forgetful, isn't ours checked while in neutral?

Old 07-17-2019, 01:40 AM
pilotsmack
Professional
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Had something similar happening. There is a TSB regarding delayed engagement when the vehicle sits for a few days. Some transmissions are affected - mine was one. Swapped BOTH filters.

Hasn't done it since.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission clunk 3rd Gen