3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

New to me 2005 Dakota - Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 09:59 AM
sk8erord
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to me 2005 Dakota - Questions

First off, Hi everyone.

I have a couple of quick questions. I just took possession of a 2005 SLT 4x4 QC 4.7 with about 98000 miles on it. It has the tow package and the heavy duty service package. I was looking at leveling the front end, but I think the front struts are original, so they probably need to be replaced. Instead of a leveling kit, would it be better to get some struts designed for a slightly higher ride height (longer struts/springs)? Any suggestions on that?

Also, the car vibrates pretty bad at about 70mph, as well as under braking. I’m going to get the tires rotated and balanced, but assuming it isn’t that - thoughts? I read somewhere that there is a common cause for that in the rear end of these trucks, but I can’t find what I read.

I have a ticking noise on startup. I assume that's the lifter tick I've read about? If so, is there a particular brand of lifters I should replace with? If the question below is true, I'll be in there swapping cams anyways, so I can swap the lifters (and rockers if necessary) at the same time.

Finally, is it true that the 08+ cams and intake are essentially the same as installing the old HO cams and intake (with a TB adapter) in the 05? I’d like a bit more grunt in this vehicle, but nothing crazy.

Anything else I should look at? It was pretty well maintained. It was my dad’s, and he’s meticulous at following the manufacturer’s maintenance schedule. I did swap plugs and change the oil, and plan to swap all fluids (diff, transfer case, transmission, coolant).

I will be towing my track car with it about once a month ~5klbs.

Thank you!

Last edited by sk8erord; 07-22-2019 at 10:05 AM.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:39 AM
lantzd
Amateur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello, I can't answer anything regarding the suspension as I have not tackled any of that myself, but I think the common things I have seen is "upgrading" the stock shock/spring setup with an aftermarket like Monroe or Rancho, they seem the most popular. Someone commented that the Monroe Quick-Strut which is basically the strut and spring package actually raised their front end by 2", not sure how true that is. I think whatever you replace in there it would be a great chance to add the leveling kit.

For the vibration I would definitely start with a wheel balance, any particular location you feel the vibration? Is it worse/better when you brake?

Ticking at startup is pretty normal on the 4.7L. Mine does the same and from what I read it is pretty common. I use Mobil 1 oil and it mine will tick for a few seconds after startup but then goes away.

Good luck!

Old 07-22-2019, 11:11 AM
sk8erord

The vibration is about equal under braking. Not 100% of the time, but when it's there it's very noticeable.

Old 07-23-2019, 08:36 PM
mike2323
Cool

Originally Posted by sk8erord
First off, Hi everyone.

I have a couple of quick questions. I just took possession of a 2005 SLT 4x4 QC 4.7 with about 98000 miles on it. It has the tow package and the heavy duty service package. I was looking at leveling the front end, but I think the front struts are original, so they probably need to be replaced. Instead of a leveling kit, would it be better to get some struts designed for a slightly higher ride height (longer struts/springs)? Any suggestions on that?

Also, the car vibrates pretty bad at about 70mph, as well as under braking. I’m going to get the tires rotated and balanced, but assuming it isn’t that - thoughts? I read somewhere that there is a common cause for that in the rear end of these trucks, but I can’t find what I read.

I have a ticking noise on startup. I assume that's the lifter tick I've read about? If so, is there a particular brand of lifters I should replace with? If the question below is true, I'll be in there swapping cams anyways, so I can swap the lifters (and rockers if necessary) at the same time.

Finally, is it true that the 08+ cams and intake are essentially the same as installing the old HO cams and intake (with a TB adapter) in the 05? I’d like a bit more grunt in this vehicle, but nothing crazy.

Anything else I should look at? It was pretty well maintained. It was my dad’s, and he’s meticulous at following the manufacturer’s maintenance schedule. I did swap plugs and change the oil, and plan to swap all fluids (diff, transfer case, transmission, coolant).

I will be towing my track car with it about once a month ~5klbs.

Thank you!
Hello

As mentioned, the Monroe Quick Struts are a good replacement and will bring the front end up between one and two inches. I've used then and they work well. You may want to also consider the Monroe coil-over gas shocks for the rear.

The vibration could be the tires, but check all four ball joints and tie rod ends. It was the ball joints on mine. The uppers are easy, you buy the rebuilt control arms. The lowers are press in, and you'll need the tool or have a shop do it. The vib while breaking is probably warped rotors. Easy fix there.

The ticking could be a lifter, or an exhaust leak at the manifold. The leak will quiet down a bit when the manifold warms up. The 4.7s are really good at busting manifold bolts and developing leaks. A bear to fix, but maybe necessary.

If you want a bit more power, look at the exhaust. After the cats, the Y pipe and muffler, there are 1 or 2 resonators. Get rid of the resonators. It will sound better and get up to speed a bit quicker.

Old 10-09-2019, 09:44 PM
Bryant Gelinas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Vibration

My 05 4wd also had vibration. Felt more in the floor and seat. Got all the parts for front end complete rebuild, but started with the small stuff. Replaced u joints and cv joint on front drive shaft. CV joint was very dry, rusty, and bearings were shot. Discovered where grinding noise in 4wd reverse was coming from. Still had vibration. Replaced rear drive shaft u joints. Oem(no grease zerks), but all the bearing caps looked un damaged and all were still wet. Put shaft back in. No more vibration.

The following users liked this post:
dpmsdeerhunter (10-10-2019)

Quick Reply: New to me 2005 Dakota - Questions