3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Receiver and CANBUS Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2019, 01:40 AM
pilotsmack
Professional
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Receiver and CANBUS Question

I've been thinking about changing my factory receiver to something newer, with BT, hands-free, and something to interface with my sat radio. The only think I keep getting hung up on is the CANbus... I'm not familiar enough with it, especially how it pertains to the radio.

I have a 2005. There are lots of wire harnesses out there for it, but many don't have terminals at the pins for the CAN bus (pins 5 & 6 on the FSM pinout). Most of the harnesses out there that allow you to keep canbus (for a hefty price) also have a module for the steering wheel controls, which my truck doesn't have. Would I still need the harness with Canbus and SWC, or is it possible to add a jumper between the Canbus pins? I'm pretty sure it isn't that simple, but I know someone on here must have done it before.

Also interestingly enough, the troubleshooting guide lists pin 14 as the Canbus (-) instead of pin 6. Just trying to do my homework before swapping things out, and yes, I know it's a goofy size and that a lot of fabricating will be involved, which I am more than okay with. But some of the electronical stuff is pure gypsy magic to me.

Thanks guys.

Old 08-29-2019, 02:15 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

I had a Pioneer stereo installed a while back (Free Installation) at Best Buy, and they just used a simple wire adapter. I have no steering wheel controls either, and have never had an issue whatsoever. I do get the 'Lost Communication with Radio' error code when reading OBDII codes, but that does not trip any lights and is normal with aftermarket stereos.

Quick Reply: Receiver and CANBUS Question