3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Engine Misfire and Rough Idling

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2019, 11:07 AM
zachmorgan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Misfire and Rough Idling

I've got a 2006 Dodge Dakota, V8 4X4 quad cab with just over 115,000 miles that has been running rough for a while now. I took it to Autozone to get the codes read for a quick idea of what was going on. These are the following codes:
  • P0300 - Random Misfire Detected
  • P0301 - Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected
  • P1129 - Closed Loop Fueling not Achieved - Bank 2
  • P2302 - Ignition Coil A Secondary Circuit
  • P0038 & P0052 - HO2S Heater Control Circuit High
And then the following transmission codes:
  • P0700 Transmission Control System (MIL Request)
  • P0846, P0871, P0988, & P0876 - Transmission Fluid Pressure Sensor/Switch
  • P0882 - TCM Power Input Signal Low
I've already checked all of the spark plugs and my coil packs are new. I replaced my Throttle Position Sensor which helped out the rough idle slightly. It's had issues with the camshaft sensor in the past along with the catalytic converter. I'm at a loss of what seems to be the problem, if anyone else has seen this then let me know.

For the transmission codes, I'm pretty sure it's all going to be electrical issues. The truck has stalled out on me in the past and it sometimes has a rough time shifting down. Other times it has not allowed me to shift past 2nd or 3rd gear unless I shut the truck down and restart it. I'm hoping the the issue is with a bad relay. I'm going to replace the TCR today and see if it makes a difference. If that doesn't work then I'm thinking that the TCM may be the issue instead.

Any thoughts?
Thanks

Old 10-07-2019, 07:20 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 338 Likes on 302 Posts

How old is the battery?

Old 10-07-2019, 09:47 AM
pilotsmack
Professional
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Defnitely check the battery first - and then pull the terminals off and clean them, and put dielectric grease on the posts. Multiple codes and a few with sensor voltages tend to point to weak/intermittent power.

A couple of those transmission codes can be low fluid level, or issues with the filters (aftermarket, or the service bulletin about the filters), both of which can also cause the harsh shifting.

Easiest way to troubleshoot the misfire is to swap the coil (in this case, Cyl 1) to another known good cylinder (say Cyl 3) and see if the misfire stays on 1, or moves to 3.

Quick Reply: Engine Misfire and Rough Idling