3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Strut replacement questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2019, 07:00 AM
northgator8
All Star
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by thomasrodco
Hi! No offense! I didn't know there was a download for a factory service manual, but I'll look for it.
The stuff you copied only says "shock absorber" so I don't know if that is for front or rear?
In my first post, I said "see sticky", it is in a post at the top of the forum, literally called:

Sticky Free, Immediate 2005 Dakota FSM and Dodge Build Sheet, and more...
( 1 2)

This is from the "Front Suspension" section of the Manual.

The following users liked this post:
thomasrodco (10-12-2019)
Old 10-11-2019, 07:07 AM
northgator8
All Star
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by thomasrodco
Correct, the center nut at the top of the strut. My concern was that the strut shaft has quite a bit of thread, and if I compress the spring enough, I'm guessing I could then screw down that top nut further than it is supposed to go, which is why I was asking how to determine how tight it should be?
Before you pull apart yours, see if there are threads exposed below the mount, if not, crank it down until it is tight, if there are threads showing crank it down until the same distance is exposed. I don't imagine that there is any distance between the mount and the shock. Otherwise it would have to compress that distance before it would activate. Tighten it to 1/4 turn before it snaps.

Quick Reply: Strut replacement questions