3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

2005 Dodge Dakota steering issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2020, 07:40 PM
Ed L
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Dodge Dakota steering issues

I have a 2005 Dodge Dakota v6 4x4, that starting giving me steering issues a couple weeks ago. While trying to drive it is stiff from about 1/8 turn until about 1/4 turn in either direction, then it gets loose until I rotate it about 5/8 of a turn then it gets stiff again. The issue being that it is hard to steer and then it is not, during the same turn as it alternates between acting like it doesn't have power steering and then it does. This is problematic as I am turning real hard at one point and then it wants to turn super fast and way to far even into the other lane.
The steering fluid is at full level, there is no rust in or around the steering pump. The wheel looks great and the serpentine belt is tight. The oil is clean, the vehicle has an independent Axle. When jacked up by the "wishbone" suspension and turning the wheels while it is running, there is no noise coming from the pump or is there any notable noise from the Rack. I also fished around in the reservoir with a extending magnet and nothing.

Old 09-25-2020, 06:34 AM
erau
Veteran
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed L
I have a 2005 Dodge Dakota v6 4x4, that starting giving me steering issues a couple weeks ago. While trying to drive it is stiff from about 1/8 turn until about 1/4 turn in either direction, then it gets loose until I rotate it about 5/8 of a turn then it gets stiff again. The issue being that it is hard to steer and then it is not, during the same turn as it alternates between acting like it doesn't have power steering and then it does. This is problematic as I am turning real hard at one point and then it wants to turn super fast and way to far even into the other lane.
The steering fluid is at full level, there is no rust in or around the steering pump. The wheel looks great and the serpentine belt is tight. The oil is clean, the vehicle has an independent Axle. When jacked up by the "wishbone" suspension and turning the wheels while it is running, there is no noise coming from the pump or is there any notable noise from the Rack. I also fished around in the reservoir with a extending magnet and nothing.
There is apparently a known issue on these trucks with the Intermediate Steering Shaft (between the steering wheel and the rack) inside the engine compartment wearing out, causing binding at certain steering angles. A search of previous threads from over the years for "intermediate shaft" and "intermediate steering" should give you some troubleshooting and replacement-part recommendations.

**Also, if you take out the existing shaft, make sure beforehand to strap down the steering wheel from being able to free-turn while the shaft is out...Something about damage to the clockspring could occur if you don't.

Last edited by erau; 09-25-2020 at 06:47 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Ed L (09-25-2020)

Quick Reply: 2005 Dodge Dakota steering issues