3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Hunting idle

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2021, 10:32 PM
Jim_2006Dakota
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hunting idle

Hi group, I have a 2006 Dakota SLT 4.7. The idle is hunting. Usually more so at a cold start during high idle, but sometimes even after its warmed up. I already replace the IAC valve with no change. Not sure what else in the system would cause that. Any suggestions? I appreciate any help - Jim

Old 09-25-2021, 12:32 AM
Ace199
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi I'm new to the forum and a novice to average garage monkey but could it be the map sensor?

Old 09-25-2021, 01:20 AM
Jim_2006Dakota

Hello Ace199, I suppose anything is possible right now. I will start doing some research on the map sensor and see where that leads me. Thanks for the offerings.

Old 09-25-2021, 01:36 PM
Ace199
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I suppose I should throw out my reasoning behind my hypothesis, I have the same truck, if its rough idle after replacing the iac to me would assume a bad air fuel mix, or timing. an air leak to me wouldnt cause as much issue on this bc it doesnt have a MAF and only a MAP sensor [correct me if it's different on your truck] if the map sensor is faulting it could be defaulting/basing fuel air more on O2 sensors. Could also be a fuel pump issue which is pricier. Another reason id try map first; the cam position sensor may be another cause but that would require a "rebalance" after touching. This is not to say you couldnt a a possible air/vacuum leak I suppose. A smoke test can be done pretty cheap with a homade smoker I made one from a soldering iron, paint can, and a bicycle pump it's on youtube. Once again I'm no pro, and someone may respond and tell me I'm way off but just food for thought

Old 09-26-2021, 02:04 PM
pilotsmack
Professional
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm thinking intake leak somewhere. Something is cracked, and causes a leak, but seals it's gap when it warms up. Makes me lean towards intake manifold gasket leaks. Got a friend with a smoke machine to diagnose it? Or some brake cleaner to go looking on the cheap?

Any codes?

Old 09-28-2021, 10:55 AM
pierrejoly
Veteran
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I would also check/clean the throttle body. it's quite simple to get to. loosen the band clamp from the air intake tube and pull. for easier access, loosen the band clamp on the intake tube to the air box and pull.

check to see that it's seating correctly when closed. that there's no buildup of anything on the blade or around it. there's an idle passage that could be blocked.

removing the throttle body is 4 bolts, a wire or two and I think your truck is cable actuated so you also ahve the throttle cable. removing it and cleaning around there and the throttle body from the back wouldn't hurt as well.

I was surprised at the amount of buildup on mine when i cleaned it.

Old 11-15-2021, 11:11 PM
Jim_2006Dakota

Sorry for the delay in response, but YES, it was the map sensor. Thank you.

The following users liked this post:
Ace199 (11-20-2021)

Quick Reply: Hunting idle