3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Problems 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2021, 11:36 AM
nscott
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems 4x4

Alright I have a V8 quad cab 2005. That being said, i have had some problems. I recently replaced the transfer case because it cracked in half. but now the 4-wheel drive will try to engage when i turn the truck on. Also, the front drive shaft teeth, where it ties into the cv joint on the transfer case, got striped. is that something wrong with the transfer case or something else? I also have a grinding noise sometimes when i reverse. I would like any tips or information yall have. Im bouncing between cutting my losses and sell the truck or trying to fix it.

Old 11-10-2021, 10:42 PM
pilotsmack
Professional
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Do you drive often in 4WD on dry roads? A lot of what you are describe fits nicely with excessive/hard wear. 2wd (or AWD, if you are so equipped) unless you really need the extra traction.

When you put in the new TC, did you put a new TC motor in as well? That expensive little sucker is a known issue in the Dakota/Durango world. There are a few cases online (but you don't believe everything you read online, do you?) of some IPMs causing shifting issues when the key is first put into the ignition. Seems more rare than the TC motors, though.

I think your noise is separate. If your front axle stub shafts are worn that bad, I would think your front and/or rear axles have some damage too. Clunking into reverse could be a sign of excessive backlash on the diff.

Quick Reply: Problems 4x4