3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

'05 Dakota: passenger-side mirror won't move left

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2021, 08:58 PM
DoigieD
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '05 Dakota: passenger-side mirror won't move left

2005 Dakota, the mirror switch won't move the passenger-side mirror to the left. It didn't when I got the truck a couple months ago. I replaced the switch, and it worked for a day or so. Tried another switch, thinking I was just having my usual luck and had gotten a defective switch. But, same problem.

I think before or when it "went out," it centered the mirror, because I had it positioned, but when I checked it, it was out of position again, and would only move to the right, or up and down.

​​​​​​Oh, and at one point, when it moved up and down, it also moved a little to the left, so I thought I had found a workaround. But then it stopped doing that, and just moved straight up or down.

Driver-side mirror works fine. No fuses blown.

Any ideas? Are the switches ruined? Is there something else I should check?

TIAFAH.

DD

Old 11-15-2021, 07:23 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Might be tth mechanism inside the mirror.

Old 11-23-2021, 12:06 PM
DoigieD
Default New mirror, same results and then some.

Replaced the mirror, kept existing switch. Still no right-left movement on passenger side. Replaced the switch to operate the new mirror. Worked for about 10 uses, then passenger l-r failed again. Then driver l-r failed. So now both mirrors move up/down, but not sideways. Put previous switch back, so I'm now back to all working except passenger l-r.

Old 11-25-2021, 01:02 PM
rodslinger
Veteran
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by DoigieD
Replaced the mirror, kept existing switch. Still no right-left movement on passenger side. Replaced the switch to operate the new mirror. Worked for about 10 uses, then passenger l-r failed again. Then driver l-r failed. So now both mirrors move up/down, but not sideways. Put previous switch back, so I'm now back to all working except passenger l-r.
I would start looking at the connector for the switch. Possible corrosion on the pins. Changing switch scrubs enough tarnish off the pin sockets to work a few tries but time takes over and connection craps out again later.

The following users liked this post:
DoigieD (11-25-2021)
Old 11-25-2021, 01:17 PM
DoigieD
Default Electrical Contact Cleaner, maybe?

I have some electrical contact cleaner. Maybe spray some of that into the connector?

Old 11-25-2021, 05:07 PM
rodslinger
Veteran
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by DoigieD
I have some electrical contact cleaner. Maybe spray some of that into the connector?
Start with that. On the male pins I use something like small tweezers so I can scrape both sides of the pin without bending them.

The sockets are harder. Need to find something that you can get in them to scrape the mating surface without spreading them open. Can sometimes get lucky being able to use a cut strip of sandpaper.

I have a super small set of files and brushes I use. Think jewelry tool small. The files are thinner than the electrical pins but have a rough surface to scrape the surface.

The following users liked this post:
DoigieD (11-25-2021)

Quick Reply: '05 Dakota: passenger-side mirror won't move left