3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

replacement alternator for 4.7L

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2022, 10:13 PM
David Kalinowski
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default replacement alternator for 4.7L

So I need a new alt, rockauto lists a few but I was reading around, and it almost looks like the high output 160amp units from the durango would fit as well (and they arent much more, even for a new unit.) they interchangeable? As far as I can tell I dont "need" a 160amp i'm not running any kind of crazy stereo (i've got a aftermarket head unit, i think it was like 200watts RMS and its pushing two Polk audio door speakers up front and the factories in the rear doors.) so yea but I figure might as well get more power in case I need it with only about 10-15$ price difference.
This one is the 160amp from the Durango WAI GLOBAL13913N
this one is the 136 from the Dakota WAI GLOBAL13873N
and just noticed this REMY
all of these units listed look to be rebranding denso and are all listed as new. (they all list denso in the description as NDenso unit)

I cant find exact measurements for the external fit, but they look damn near identical to me.

and input appreciated.

Old 03-22-2022, 10:15 AM
Hesselhoff
Rookie
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

From my experience many durango/dakota only parts have the same mounting and size, with the only difference being the electrical connector. Front wheel bearings are exactly the same size and mounting, I measured them with calipers, but the connector on the abs sensor was a different shape. Might be worth taking a trip to a parts store and asking to look at one.

Old 03-22-2022, 01:59 PM
David Kalinowski
Rookie

You know, I can totally see that being the only issue, didnt even think about the connector.

Old 03-23-2022, 09:05 PM
David Kalinowski
Rookie

havent bought anything yet, but looking at replacment pig tails for the connector (at least according to autozone) they are the same part# for the electrical plug, so I'm willing to bet that the ones for the durango will fit, baring any size or placement differences in the casing. I'm going to check at some parts shops, salvage yards monday. One of my local yards the owner is a die hard mopar guy so I should be good there lol.

Old 04-08-2022, 06:57 AM
Prich89
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just put a 160 amp alternator in my truck from a 4.7 durango. Got it at napa, works great. Upgraded because i did an electric fan swap.

Quick Reply: replacement alternator for 4.7L