3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Automatic headlights ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2022, 07:10 PM
lugnut41
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatic headlights ??

Hi guys, I'm a new-be here. I have been reading some interesting stuff here. I bought 2002 Dakota Quad cab 4.7 in June of this year-end so far it has been almost trouble free, except for a leaking brake line.
Is there a way to make the headlights come on with the ignition? Almost all the vehicles I have owned its the past years, the headlights came on automatically. Living here on the Oregon Coast and most of my driving is on Hwy 101. 101 is almost bumper to bumper and having the lights on all the time is a must. I want people to see me coming . Being used to auto headlights, I have had a hard time remembering to turn the lights on in my Dakota. Maybe being 81 is part of the problem I hope you all have a fix.
Thanks
Mel

Old 09-12-2022, 06:37 PM
MikeDilligaf
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as I know, the Dakota did not come with 'driving lights'.

One option - if you have automatic headlights (they come on when it is darker out) you can place a piece of dark tape over the light sensor. On my 2008 Dakota, it is located inside the cab on top of the dash on the passenger side near the front defoggers.

In fact, I'm contemplating doing the same. I find that they do not come on early enough towards dusk. Plus by law hear in New York State, I believe you are required to turn your headlights on while using your wipers during rain. Many times it's not dark enough when raining to automatically turn on the headlights.

Old 09-13-2022, 04:54 AM
philipat
Veteran
Received 48 Likes on 46 Posts

Both daytime running lights ("driving lights") and automatic headlights have to be programmed into the vehicle. If you have a switch for the automatic headlights, then you have the programming. If you don't have the switch, then you don't have it. For later models (2008+, maybe earlier...not sure), you can use AlfaOBD to program the daytime running lights. This is not the same as having the headlights (and tail lights) turn on automatically when your wipers are on. I've tried to find that option in AlfaOBD to activate it in my 2011, but couldn't find it.

The following users liked this post:
jkeaton (09-13-2022)
Old 09-13-2022, 03:30 PM
MikeDilligaf
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by philipat
Both daytime running lights ("driving lights") and automatic headlights have to be programmed into the vehicle. If you have a switch for the automatic headlights, then you have the programming. If you don't have the switch, then you don't have it. For later models (2008+, maybe earlier...not sure), you can use AlfaOBD to program the daytime running lights. This is not the same as having the headlights (and tail lights) turn on automatically when your wipers are on. I've tried to find that option in AlfaOBD to activate it in my 2011, but couldn't find it.

Slightly confused with your statement ... Were you able to activate the DRLs with AlfaOBD?

Old 09-13-2022, 07:09 PM
lugnut41
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the information guys. I was just hoping that there was some simple thing that would turn on the headlights when the ignition is turned on.

Old 09-14-2022, 04:50 AM
philipat
Veteran
Received 48 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeDilligaf
Slightly confused with your statement ... Were you able to activate the DRLs with AlfaOBD?
Yes, I was able to activate the DRLs using AlfaOBD.

I was not able to activate a feature where the headlights turn on automatically when you turn on the wipers. I was not able to find that feature in the AlfaOBD menus. If someone else has found it, I'd love to know how to activate that feature.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...ml#post3540018

Last edited by philipat; 09-14-2022 at 04:56 AM.

Quick Reply: Automatic headlights ??