3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

2009 4.7L engine vibation when warm

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2022 | 05:14 PM
rubicinc
|
Default 2009 4.7L engine vibation when warm

I need help!!!

I recently purchased 2009 4.7L Dakota with 30K miles. The issue is after a few minutes of running at idle, the engine starts vibrating. The vibration is very noticeable looking at the antenna, and I can also feel it inside the car. There is P0305 code that starts appearing around the same time the engine vibrates. Once it is warm, if I turn it off and restart after a minute, it runs great before starting to vibrate.
I replaced driver's side O2 sensor, and I swapped ignition coil on cylinder 5. I also checked resistance(cold and hot) of fuel injector #5 and scoped the waveform. I also sprayed FREEZE IT on the injector when engine was vibrating. There is no change.
The engine sounds very good before and during vibration, and there is no noise from lash adjusters.

Since vibration starts after the car warms up, I initially considered OPEN/CLOSED loop, but those are heated O2 sensors, and it seems I am in CLOSED loop almost from the beginning!

One thing that bothers me a great deal is the O2 voltage from Bank1. Once engine start vibrating around the same time or a little later, voltage waveform from B1-1 goes a little crazy. However, I can't say for sure there is any consistency in it:
I am planning the following steps unless I hear better ideas:
1: replace crankshaft position sensor( Only bank 1 looks bad/misfire, so I would expect both be affected by PS)
2: swap injector #5, however O2 readings are strange and I would expect some consistency)
3: open the valve cover on driver side.
4. Trying a different ECU would be very hard because of SKIM module,

Before vibration B1-1 and B2-1 voltages look almost the same:

After vibration starts, there is no way to tell what is going on:

Old 09-19-2022 | 08:54 AM
rubicinc
|

There is a quick follow up. After using SEAFOAM, the misfire in cylinder 5 went away, however the vibration is still here. It almost seems that there is some resonance frequency that start shaking the car. I checked the harmonic balancer, but I don't see any issues. There is a small out of round wobble, but I assume it is balanced at the factory. The mechanical fan doesn't look bad. However it probably takes a small vibration before it becomes noticeable.

Should I ignore O2 voltages for now?
Any ideas?

Quick Reply: 2009 4.7L engine vibation when warm