3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Transcooler Hard Lines Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2023, 07:02 PM
BlackBodyDakota
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transcooler Hard Lines Replacement

Long story short; looking for some help on fitting sizes for both ends of my transcooler lines as I am planning to go with braided 3/8th AN line and 6an fittings. I will need to purchase adapters as I don't want any hard lines, just AN line directly to and from trans and radiator. (What i think is right is listed at the end)

Long story long for why im in the position; I had a leak coming from my transcooler lines, turns out both lines were leaking from around the rubber section of the lines directly below the clutch fan. It would seem like this isnt the first time these rubber sections of the lines have gone bad since the rubber lines weren't crimped like OEM instead the hardline were flared and 3/8 rubber hose was held in place with hose clamps. I did just plan on replacing just the rubber sections again like previously done since I didnt have any other leaks from those lines but living in Nebraska, the rust had different plans. Just as am connecting the last rubber hose to complete the repair, the fitting going into the radiator just falls out causing ATF and coolant to start leaking out and after further inspection it would seem corrosion and rust ate away the aluminum threads inside the radiator. This also lead me to check the rest of the metal lines and those too looked like they were going to give to rust soon. After doing some research I found that just buying a new radiator would be the better option than bypassing with aftermarket cooler. Below is what i found after my research but wasnt really able to locate anything solid confirming so hoping someone can tell me if Im on the right track and if not any advice would be appreciated.
Fitting Size for Transmission Case -

6AN Male to 1/2 x 20 NPT Pipe Adapter

Fitting Size for Radiator -

6AN Male to 5/8 x 18 Inverted Flare Adapter

Old 04-19-2023, 03:58 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 81 Likes on 78 Posts

Are you trying to MacGyver together a replacement for the usual cooler lines?

Quick Reply: Transcooler Hard Lines Replacement