3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Transmission ID

Search this Thread

Old Today, 06:23 AM
mrtweaver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Transmission ID

Good day, i have a 2006 Dodge Dakota and according to the build sheet it came with a 545RFE transmission. And i was under the truck recently and copied the ID tag from the transmission just to clarify for myself that indeed the transmission is a 545rfe. Now i can see the letters RFE stamped on the tag but it does not seem to indicate if the transmission is a 45 or a 545, which i have googled and it seems the big difference is the number of gears and the ratios. And there was one readit questions pertaining to the same thing and the reply was look at the serial and if the first character is a 4 then you have a 45 and if the first character is a 5 then its a 545 but my first character is a letter. Does the original answer person mean the first number or the first character? Here is the information i have.

TIFTJ244510693 16:11:18
P52119091A6 RFE 091

Just not sure how to identify things here and would appreciate any feedback.

Thank you

Old Today, 08:13 AM
dodgetruck2
All Star
Received 54 Likes on 53 Posts

The 45RFE and 545RFE are the same transmission, the 5 comes from the software programming.

Its a 4spd transmissions, there is a 5th gear enabled for downshifting by the software, hence the 5.

Edit:

Calling it a 5th gear might be misleading, the extra gear is actually added between 2 and 3, for downshifting when you mash the throttle, its called 2nd prime

Last edited by dodgetruck2; Today at 08:15 AM.

Quick Reply: Transmission ID