3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Should I buy it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 08:35 PM
san4storage
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Should I buy it?

Hello - I was in the same boat. Never buy a non-jap product again. Well - was doing my homework as well and had to admit was very against the Dakota.. Not very - just really in love with the tacoma. Went to drive one and all was thought to be in a toyota. Engine not as strong as I anticipated.... good overall ride.. - Could not get a few dealers to budge from numbers in the 25-28K range for a nice loaded pre-runner. Think 24,088 was the best. But lacked the four doors I wanted.... I owned a 1997 Dakota Club/SLT 4x2 and had some issues with water in the bottom of the passenger floor with no luck ever to fix it. So - when I went to the Dodge dealer looking at the Dakota, I was not looking to buy one, just to see what the truck looked like ( pictures looked kool new style ) - Well ! - Drove a 4x2 Quad Cab 3.7l auto with special 17' wheels. Thing drives like a car!!! quiet , very easy to move the truck around. Feels like a big car with oversized tires ... lol... Well - after the thought of getting a total of 5,100 ( rebats + loyaty push I did ..... ) 27,855 list came in at 22,400 out the door! - Very happy to see the Dakota again ! - See everyone later !

Old 02-04-2006, 09:52 AM
angelmav

I am also weighing a decision on getting a Dakota, Really comparing the Ram, Dakota and Silverado and for what I want to spend and what I hope to get the Dak keeps coming out ahead every time. Great to here your all so excited for your new trucks, cant wait to join you!

Old 02-04-2006, 10:42 PM
sandiegohemi
Veteran

For what it's worth, a Hemi Ram will cost you more, but the gas mileage won't be that much worse than the 4.7. What are you going to use your truck for? Hauling? Offroading? A daily commuter? For a daily commuter, I'd probably go with a Dakota. For hauling, offroading, and just plain having fun, I'd go with the Ram 5.7. The Silverado, um, not a big fan of them.

Old 02-06-2006, 08:24 PM
angelmav

Yeah its going to be a daily driver and not much of a hauler but I need a PU for when the call of home depot arises! Also I dont off road so for city driving the Dak just makes more sense. Plus I am in the market for a new minivan for the wife too so I am on a budget for what I can spend on my truck.